To do list parameters

0 Likes
(5)

Add a setting under notifications that allows us (students) to set parameters for what shows up in our to do list. For example, maybe a 7 day restriction where the to do list omits assignments and such due after 7 days from now. Or a 10 day, or a 14, or a 1 month, or you could just leave it off. 

For me, seeing that constant number of assignments left to do is frustrating as it never seems to disappear, even though all the assignments are not even from this week or next week. With this option people would feel more on top of things as well. 

While your at it, add a way to put things back on your to do list if you accidentally remove one. 

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Cmcmillan
Community Member

This is a great idea, and one I've been waiting for for a long time. At this point, the to-do list is basically pointless because it is clogged with a lot of unnecessary items and is not able to be edited by students. I think we should at least be able to mark off items on the list as we go along. From the student's point of view, the current way that this is implemented is very basic and not friendly for time management and task completion.

Jgouken
Community Member

I love this idea. In addition to it, maybe a filter on the Notifications page, being able to see just when an assignment is created for students or when a message has been sent to this inbox. This would allow students to know when specifically a teacher has posted something or otherwise without having to sift through notifications or emails.

drewcurran
Community Member

Right now, to see what assignments I have to do in my to-do list, I have to x-out two office hours notifications per class per day.  For this reason, it is really hard to keep up with what I need to do for the week.

It would make sense for instructors to be able to filter which types of notifications should show up in the to-do list for each class.  For this example, my math instructor could make it so calendar events don't show up for my math class.  This would erase a lot of the filtering that I have to do manually.

Another alternative is for students to be able to filter the to-do list per notification type per class, since different classes treat different notification types in different ways.

If anyone has any insight or criticism, let me know.

HannahVeschak
Community Novice

As a student, seeing all of the future assignments on my “to-do” tab can be stressful! My suggestion for canvas is to only include the assignments for the current week in the “to-do” tab do avoid becoming overwhelmed, stressed, anxious, etc. For example, on top of my assignments for this current week, I am also seeing assignments due for next Tuesday. That is stressing me out while I am trying to focus on this week, ya know? 🙂

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.