Variable Time-frame Assignment Due Dates

(2)

A Canvas feature for teachers to create assignments that have a set time-period allowed for each student to complete the assignment. The teacher can create assignments and customize a "hard due-date" and a "time-allotted" parameter, such that a student may see a preview of the assignment, and choose to unlock the assignment. For example, when the student chooses to unlock the assignment, they shift their version of the assignment's due date to their current time plus the "time-allotted," and must complete the assignment by the end of their given time-frame. However, no matter the fact if or when the student unlocks the assignment, the latest due-date allowed by the assignment defaults to the "hard due-date" parameter specified by the teacher upon assignment creation. 

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

So, basically, you want to add a timer to the assignment, right? Like in Quizzes?

a1224143
Community Participant

We are also now needing an Assignment timer feature similar to quizzes for exams that are proctored but use the Assignment Tool instead of the normal Timed Quiz tool for an exam. 

kknudson1
Community Novice

I requested this feature a few years ago. I want a timer added to assignments. The reason is that I want to give quizzes and exams that use an LTI. It's really that simple.

Alternative: add the ability to launch an LTI in quizzes. This would accomplish the same thing.

Seriously, this seems like such a simple thing to do. Please make it happen.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.