Weighting

0 Likes
(2)

Allow assignments within a category to be weighted EQUALLY or PROPORTIONALLY.

For example, an instructor might like all assignments to have the same weight, even if one contains more problems/points than another. 

I have always done this.  But now that we have switched from Blackboard to Canvas, this is no longer possible. 

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@kboyke 

Thanks for sharing these two ideas; we have active conversations underway around each one. Please add your comments to Assignments within weighted groups treated with equal value regardless of points and assignment weighting in assignment groups. We've archived this one to remove the duplication and keep the discussions unified.

JShaneWelker
Community Member

I shouldn't have to use percentages or have each assignment have the same number of points to make each assignment count the same. For example, I should be able to have a category called "Midterm Exams" worth 30% of the total grade. If Exam 1 is graded out of 50 points and Exam 2 is graded out of 55 points, then they are not weighted equally, and I have to create a separate group for the exams OR grade them out of percentages instead.

It is so frustrating that this is not a feature that Canvas has. More often than not, a math class will want all homework assignments to have equal weight, all midterms to have equal weight, etc. Making a different group for each HW assignment would be annoying and defeat the purpose of having assignment groups in the first place.