Course Evaluation Checklist v2.0

Instructure
Instructure
16 2 26K

Canvas Course Evaluation Checklist v2.0 is Here!

A few months ago, it came to my attention that the original Canvas Course Evaluation Checklist had been reviewed in the International Review of Research in Open & Distributed Learning journal. I was thrilled to discover the checklist had received that type of attention. Additionally, it opened the door to an excellent opportunity to collaborate with one of the authors, Sally Baldwin, implement her suggestions, and make some overall improvements. 

Purpose

The purpose of the Canvas Course Evaluation Checklist is to support the majority of Canvas course creators as they strive to elevate the quality of their Canvas courses. What are the strengths of the checklist? Just like Canvas, the checklist is designed to support a variety of course creators (instructional designers, K12 teachers, higher ed faculty, etc.) in diverse settings (brick and mortar, hybrid, fully online, etc.) as they create Canvas courses for learners of all ages. As we say, “Our mission is to enable the learning and development experience — from the first day of school to the last day of work.” The checklist doesn’t require any formal training to use and is helpful whether you’re starting a course from scratch or evaluating a more mature course. It’s short four pages! In no way is this tool meant to compete with or replace proprietary evaluations. Rather, this free tool serves as a great starting point for institutions to make a copy and customize it to meet their individualized needs. That’s why we put it in the Canvas Community — to encourage conversation amongst Canvas users and create a space for ongoing dialogue. 

Potential Uses

• Share this checklist with your colleagues
  • Apply the principles to your own course
  • Elevate the quality of your institution’s courses

Preview

checklist preview

Access

The checklist is available via Google Docs (shared as an easy-to-copy preview) so you can customize for your institution. Please select the following link for access: Canvas Course Evaluation Checklist v2.0.

Note: We ask that you comply with the Creative Commons licensing located at the bottom of the document. 

Kudos

I’m grateful to work for a company that consistently looks for ways to make the world a better place, to be part of the Learning Services Department, to be led by an amazing leadership team at Instructure, ( mloble@instructure.com, cpassey@instructure.com, shauna.vorkink@carruslearn.com and mlattke@instructure.com) and to collaborate with insightful, intelligent and inspirational colleagues ( Deactivated user, ekeefe@instructure.com and tom.gibbons@doane.edu‌). 

Wishing everyone a happy holiday season. Enjoy this gift from the Learning Services Department. 

P.S. Look for a blog post next quarter that will share hands-on, researched-based principles that will elevate your courses to a whole new level. 

Please comment below. We'd love to hear from you!

Some other useful checklist in the community:

2 Comments
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks team for making this revision to this super important tool! ekeefe@instructure.com‌ Deactivated user‌ djohnson@instructure.comtom.gibbons@doane.edu and mlattke@instructure.com‌ are the dream team! 

I think the power of this tool lies in the how you can help transform Courses throughout your district/institution as you use this as a roadmap for design (and instructional) success. I have seen some K12 districts use this as an accountability measure when auditing courses. However, it has really great intrinsic power when used as an expectation for how courses should be planned, designed, and executed. 

What are some ways that you plan to use the 2.0 version of the Course Evaluation Checklist? 

Surveyor

It has been a great experience for me . I have learne alot from this course. Thank you 

About the Author
As a child, Deonne could often be found in the basement with the chalkboard set up in front of her stuffed animals and dolls, playing "school." That love of teaching has permeated her life as she has over 25 years teaching experience in a variety of settings: K-12, private vocational college, community college and university. She was fascinated with computers when she took her first technology class in high school and has been fortunate to teach technology courses for the majority of her teaching career. Deonne is delighted to share her expertise and love of learning with educators around the world. She loves working with such an incredible team at Instructure and looks forward to sharing her knowledge with you!