Rational for integrating external apps into Canvas ecosystem.
- Canvas as the Hub: There are so many great apps out there which enrich our teaching and learning experiences, but asking students to navigate away from Canvas for any reason may be challenging, confusing, and distracting for many. By integrating your apps you are creating a one-stop-shop for your scholars and saving time, energy, and concern for yourself as an instructor.
- Auto Gradebook Updating: When a Canvas "assignment" leveraging an installed app using the "external tool" option is published a gradebook instance is automatically created. The gradebook is also populated with scores as student responses are marked in "SpeedGrader.
- Streamlined Workflow: Because content creators and consumers engage with all materials in the Canvas environment workflow efficiencies are gained creating time for other important tasks while reducing unnecessary stress.
Step 1: Installing External Apps into Canvas Course.
- Choose a course page.
- Navigate to "Settings".
- Select the "App" tab.
- Search for "edpuzzle and select the app's icon.
- Click the "Add App" button under the app logo.
- Input "Consumer Key" and "Shared Secret" into dialogue box.
- Find "Consumer Key" and "Shared Secret" under your name from your Edpuzzle account information tab in the upper right-hand corner.
- From your profile page navigate to the “School” tab. NOTE: This feature lies behind a paywall. Your institution will need to set up a “School” plan through Edpuzzle.com in order to retrieve the codes. Here is a link about Edpuzzle account tiers from Free to Pro: Free vs Pro – Edpuzzle Help Center.
On the “School” tab scroll to the bottom of the page to find the “LMS” selector, select “Canvas” from the drop down menu and Copy and Paste the provided codes into the proper places in the Canvas "Add App" section.
- A new "Edpuzzle" option is now available in the "Navigation" tab of the "Settings" page. Drag and Place the link to the desired location before clicking "Save" at the bottom of the "Navigation" page.
- Selecting the new "Edpuzzle" tab in the left hand navigation will reveal the instructor's Edpuzzle.com dashboard.
- To confirm the integration was successful search "classes" from the Edpuzzle dashboard.
Step 2: Setting up an Assignment leveraging the newly installed Edpuzzle App.
- In the case of Edpuzzle all content must first be Created or Collected in Edpuzzle.com. The Edpuzzle External Tool only makes videos from the instructor's Edpuzzle "My Content" section available for assigning. Here is a link to a beginners course for content curation designed by Edpuzzle: Edpuzzle Level 1.
- Once your content is created and ready to go navigate back to your Canvas course and commence the assignment creating process by selecting the "Assignment" tab in the left navigation menu and clicking the "+Assignment" button.
- After you add your instructions in the assignment content management panel scroll down to the “Submission Type” section, select the “External Tool” option, and search for and select the Edpuzzle tool.
- After clicking the "Select" button a new window is displayed prompting the instructor to select the desired video from their Edpuzzle.com course content section. To choose select the eye (watch) icon which appears while hovering the cursor over the middle of the video.
- Once selected another window appears displaying more video details as well as a new "Assign" button. Once assigned the Canvas + Edpuzzle assignment is set for publishing.
- QUICK TIP: Don’t forget to add a “Due” Date and “Save and Publish”. This ensures that your new assignment appears on your student’s Canvas Calendar as well as their “To-do” list automatically.
- When students engage with the "Assignment" they will see not only the teacher's written and/or video instructions they will also see the embedded Edpuzzle.com Video.
Step 3: Grading Edpuzzle Canvas Assignments
- The joy of leveraging Edpuzzle as an "Assignment" in Canvas is that an instructor doesn't have to worry about logging scores from Edpuzzle.com into Canvas #Grades; this is done automatically. Nevertheless, you may still assign a grade, leave written comments, or even produce a video response. The only feature which is not integrated for "External Tool" submissions are "Rubrics". For a prolific user of Rubrics this is not ideal, but new developments occur everyday. Always keep your eyes peeled for updates.
- Teachers receive performance details from Edpuzzle displaying “score”, date completed, date/time started, as well as an “options” button to reset score, if so desired. Scores are automatically posted to Gradebook.
Step 4: Keep an eye on the Gradebook because it will make you smile.
When leveraging Edpuzzle as a Canvas "Assignment" a gradebook instance is automatically created. Scores also magically populate the gradebook as students complete the work alleviating the need for double entry and screen swapping while streamlining instructor workflow and improving accuracy. In short; everyone wins :smileygrin:.
**Please keep in mind the timing of this post. Processes and outcomes mentioned above could change at anytime as Canvas and Edpuzzle continue to improve their integrations. I also look forward to hearing from the Community. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or observations. I'm always happy to help.**
Brandon K. Risenhoover
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.