Self-Awareness and Personal Discovery

EleniDickess
Community Member

"Included Children about inclusion, Diversity, Disability, Equality and Empathy" by Jayneen Sanders

This book introduces the reader to six wonderful kids: Sam, Rishi, Jay, Audrey, Ty and Zara. The aim of this story is to ensure all kids understand that kids with disability are just like kids everywhere. They love playing games, books, making stuff and being silly. They have things they are good at and things they need to work on. And just like kids everywhere they want to feel safe, loved and included. 

• Personal Growth- This book shows that even children with disabilities have their own struggles just like everyone else. It also shows that just because someone is different doesn't mean they don't have the similar struggles that you do. This book is also good to show students because they might be like one of the characters in the book, or they could have someone close to them like the characters in the book. 
  • Respecting Differences- This book teaches you that even thought someone might be a little bit different than you, they still enjoy the same things that you do. It has good lessons and questions on what diversity means to them. It also teaches that we need to be respectful to everyone.
  • Successful Reader- The illustrations in this book are wonderful it really shows diversity and disabilities. We need to expose children to these kinds of books. So that they can have empathy and know that someone might look a little different than you does not really mean that they are any different. This book is great for young readers to connect to because it has great scenarios for all students.

LINK: Week of April 29th- Included: A Book For ALL Children About Inclusion...by Jayneen Sanders - YouTube

"Thats Not My Name" by Anoosha Syed 

This is a great picture book about loving your name, standing up for yourself and finding your voice. This little girl name is Mirha which is a beautiful name she goes to her first day of school, she wants to learn, play and make new friends. No one can pronounce her name from the students to the teachers. Mirha wants to change her name because no one can get it right. After speaking to her mother, she gets the confidence the next day to stand up for herself and tell her classmates how to pronounce her name correctly. 

• Personal Growth- Many children are being born with unique names and it is important to know that they have a beautiful and wonderful name. This book is great for children that have common names as well. It hits a big issue on how to pronounce names correctly and how to stand up for yourself. That is important to learn at a young age.
  • Respecting Difference- When Mirha got the courage to tell her classmates that correct way to say her name, the did not get angry at her. They apologized for not saying her name correctly. It is important to learn that it is okay to apologize when you are wrong.
  • Successful Reader- From the beautiful illustrations and the content it brings to life, that young readers can really relate to this book. For young readers they can relate to either Mirha or even her friends. 

LINK:  That's Not My Name By Anoosha Syed | Kids Read Aloud Books | Black History for Kids Read Aloud (yout...

"I Am Enough" by Grace Byers 

This is a children’s book that is empowering and has an uplifting message of self-acceptance and self-worth. It encourages readers that they are enough that they can embrace their uniqueness and the importance of self-love and self-confidence. 

• Personal Growth- I Am Enough is a great book to show children that it is okay to have self- confidence you need to have self-love. Once those are installed in their mind, they will be succussed not only in the classroom but within themselves. 

Respecting Differences- Grace Byers the author of this book expresses in this book I Am Enough that it is okay to have differences but that we need to respect each other. This is great for young readers, because it is relatable for all young readers. It has beautiful illustrations to go along for young readers to relate to.

LINK:I AM ENOUGH 📚 Kids Book Read Aloud Story (youtube.com)