cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajuelmen
Community Participant

Standards- Based Grading

Jump to solution

I'm looking to connect with other schools who are using Canvas with standards based grading.  We used Learning Mastery this year with a few pilot teachers, but are having difficulty getting it to report out as we'd like.  I'd like to hear how you are setting up your proficiency scale, rubrics aligned to outcomes and assignments for optimal use by teachers yet understanding and easy access for parents and students.  Thanks!

36 Replies

@tom_chambers I have a blog post that explains some of the custom tools we've set up for teachers to report Outcomes as a gradebook grade. Some of it has changed from last year, but the core system is:

• The gradebook has two categories: Standards (or Outcomes) and Classwork.
    • Every assignment in Standards is 1 point and aligns with a standard taught during the grading period.
    • Everything else goes into Classwork (tests, labs, assignments, projects...whatever).
  • Classwork is scored as normal. Every assignment in Classwork has a four-point rubric attached to it that populates the Learning Mastery gradebook.
  • Any Learning Mastery outcome scored as 3 or higher translates to a 1/1 in the corresponding Standards assignment. A 2.9 or lower is a 0. A zero can always be changed to a one as students show mastery.

Again, there's a lot of nuance in there and I can show you the course setup if you're interested. Shoot me an email at bbennett@elkhart.k12.in.us if you want to set something up.

bbennett2
Community Champion

Oops, meant to link it in the last reply. Here's the post in the Developers group: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Developers-Group/Linking-Outcomes-to-Assignments-with-Python/ba-p...

No worries on being swamped...I think we all are right now!

I would love some specifics on you  were able to do this. Thanks!

I teach at a high school that has used SBG for years, but just switched to Canvas and we haven't figured out how to create a grade from SBG in Canvas. I would love to hear what you ( @bbennett2  and @ajuelmen ) have developed. Would you be willing to share?

Thanks!

Andrew

bbennett2
Community Champion

@ahamiltonwebb @ajuelmen  I'd be happy to share, but not this week 😬

If you both send me an email at bbennett@elkhart.k12.in.us, we can set something up.

bbennett2
Community Champion

...and @AlizaNagelhout 

xespejo
Community Participant

@tom_chambers , @ajuelmen , @bbennett2 Perhaps we could set up a little presentation from those who are more experts on setting up Canvas for SBG. We could use Meets or Zoom.  I need to learn a lot... just getting started with Canvas and SBG this year! 

xespejovadillo@latinschool.org

xespejo
Community Participant

@tom_chambers , @ajuelmen , @bbennett2 Perhaps we could set up a little presentation from those who are more experts on setting up Canvas for SBG. We could use Meets or Zoom.  I need to learn a lot... just getting started with Canvas and SBG this year! 

xespejovadillo@latinschool.org

Tags (4)
ajuelmen
Community Participant

I would be willing to do a Google Meet next week to show you the system we set up in Canvas for SBG.   I am available Thursday, August 27th between 8 am and 1:30 pm. I would think we could start with 45 minutes and go from there.  If interested, let me know what time works best and I'll send an invite.

tom_chambers
Community Participant

Excellent! I'm in. Could we start at 8:00 CST (9:00 would be possible, too that works better with other time zones).

Please post the Google Meet / Zoom link and time here and I'll join!