cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas FastTrack Ep. 23 - Flip it, Flip it real good!

The Canvas FastTrack Video series is a collection of quick videos aligning Canvas with Dr. Puentedura’s SAMR Model of Technology Integration.  This model has been used by many institutions as a framework for infusing technology into teaching and learning activities.  In the video collection we will dive into the various tools in Canvas and how they align with the SAMR Model of Technology.  Watch this four-minute video introduction to SAMR if you aren’t already familiar with the model.

Episode 23 is a 3 minute video about flipping lessons at the Modification level of Technology Integration.  Flipping an entire class can seem very overwhelming, break this task up into smaller bites by determining what content is best for the flipped lesson and how to deliver and track progress on that content.  Learn about some processes and strategies to help with flipping your lessons! 

Thanks for watching and please feel free to leave feedback, requests, and suggestions in the comments below!

Labels (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I definitely need more of this stuff - my attempt to flip my classroom this year did not go well. I rushed it, students didn't understand why it was happening, there was no buy-in, and it wasted time - I had to reteach all the content. I also think my students are 'disadvantaged' as they are not tech-savvy (no IT lessons after age 12) and they are very conformist - they expect chalk-and-talk simplicity and not being challenged with new ways of learning/thinking - they just want to memorise what they need to pass the exam...

Highlighted

Hi drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk​ ~ Which grade(s) do you teach? Change is challenging for students. I know that many of my high school students would prefer to continue working in the same styles and find the easiest way to an answer, but there are some students who "get" the process. Partner with those students to fuel the positivity of the change. While I don't flip most of my lessons because it's not conducive to my course content, I try to increase the number of flipped lessons each term to provide more opportunities for face-to-face and individualized questions during classes.

Highlighted

Hi kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com​, I teach in an independent (fee-paying, not run by gov't) school to Yr10 (first year of GCSE, 14-15yrs old) and Yr12 (first year of A Level or BTEC or IB, 16-17yrs old).

I guess since I am the only teacher in the school doing this, they think 'Dr Rimmer is just the annoying teacher making us do something hard!'

I have been made a Digital Guide for the school; there are eight of us helping guide staff in the transition to a BYOD school whilst we implement our 'digital strategy'.

Staff don't understand why we're changing - it seems to be about photocopying less and, thus, saving money. Students don't understand why we're doing this either. Staff are reluctant to change teaching habits and my enthusiastic proselytising isn't helping! I guess the pressure on exam results to boost out position in the rankings and, thereby, get more customers squashes any desire to try something 'risky'.

I'm determined to keep going though!

Highlighted
Community Member

29524970984_b879176432.jpg

Hi! I'm Gwyneth Jones - The Daring Librarian, and I have to confess, I'm a fan of the Partial flip. Not the total flip.

Great video, here's also the Flipped Classroom Explained in less than 2 min! With bonus British accent!

29524970724_df04a3a471.jpgHonestly, it's a LOT of work to make a video for every lesson. BUT...there are alternatives out there that are already created! Khan Academy ), History for  Music Lovers, YAY Math! BBC Horrible Histories, Flocabulary many subjects + quizzes (Not free but SO worth it!), Brainpop & their FREE Videos​, and all the resources on Google Education on YouTube!

Also, the Flipped Classroom, doesn't take into consideration our very real issue at my school with our Digital Divide. Because, a total flip means some kids might not be able to view the video as homework. A partial  flip in this case is the best! Assign the video, play it for everyone before lesson, (so no kid feels marginalized because they couldn't watch it at home), and that would be great re-enforcement - also, terrific for kids who were absent or who may want to watch it again.

My 2¢ on this. Cheers!

@GwynethJones  - The Daring Librarian

Highlighted

Hi gwyneth_jones@hcpss.org

Excellent points about keeping the flipped in the classroom! Smiley Happy

Here is a Podcast that was just released by Jon Bergmann a couple days ago, a great in class strategy for flipping!  Only 9 minutes long with some GREAT examples of what you can do.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Leslie

Labels