New Quizzes - Formulas - Help setting up trig calculations

DWIGHTSOUDER
Community Member

I was wondering if someone could help me out?  I'm struggling with entering the correct formula to do trigonometry calculations.  I'm trying to setup some problems for my physics students (vector calculations) and figured that if I could understand the setup, I should be able to figure out the rest.  I'm familiar with setting up a formula, but I keep getting error messages (or the incorrect answers) when trying to setup a trig problem. I'm obviously doing something wrong with my sntax.

I'm using the New Quizzes 2, formulas. I want the Quizzes to generate an unique problem set for each student.  The trig calculations are in degrees and below are some examples and the types of answers, I'm expecting for the chose variables:

#1.  For a right triangle, knowing the angle (theta) and opposite (opp), solve for the adjacent (adj).

Basic formula:  adj = `opp`/(tan`theta`) 

Using the above formula, if the generator gave `opp`=10 and 'theta`=30,

then I'm expecting the adj=17.32

#2  For a right triangle, knowing the angle (theta) and hypotenuse (hyp), solve for the opposite (opp).

Basic formula:  opp = hyp*(sin `theta`)

Using the above formula, if the generator gave `hyp`=20 and 'theta`=30,

then I'm expecting the opp=10

#3.  For a right triangle, knowing the adjacent (adj) and hypotenuse (hyp), solve for the angle (theta).

Basic formula:  angle = cos^-1 (adj/hyp)

Using the above formula, if the generator gave `adj`=8 and 'hyp`=15,

then I'm expecting the angle=57.77

Can someone please tell me examples of how I would enter those formulas in the "Formula Definition" box?

Thank you in advance!

Dwight

0 Likes