cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quizzes Video Tutorials for Migrating from Classic Quizzes

New Quizzes Video Tutorials for Migrating from Classic Quizzes

I have created several short videos to share with our Instructors that explain how to migrate a classic quiz to a new quiz. Please feel free to use and share these. I will also be creating a module and adding it to the commons. When I was searching for information about New Quizzes I felt the main thing I was looking for, how to migrate quizzes that used test banks, was hard to find. These videos address that issue.

New Quizzes Introduction

https://youtu.be/yNkrxk99LjI 

New Quizzes Test Types explained

NQ Test Types - YouTube 

New QUizzes Export and Import  Item Banks

NQ ExportImport Item Banks - YouTube 

New Quizzes Create Tests From Item Banks

NQ Create Tests From Item Banks - YouTube 

New Quizzes Create New Quiz and Add Questions from Item Banks

NQ Create New Quiz Add from Item Bank - YouTube 

Labels (1)
Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments

I was going to share this page with some instructors and it was really hard to find in the new community. First I had to find the New Quizzes user group. Hopefully if I make a comment it may rise to the top again. I think it would be more useful for people to see content that was created in the last 6 months, rather than content and questions asked in 2017.

Please fix the partial credit issues people have been begging for since the new quiz release before this forced change. The system should be able to award partial credit for categorization questions, matching questions and ordering questions. It is extremely frustrating to be forced to use a quiz format that does not have these functions.  

bsr

I was so excited about all the problems that "new quizzes" was going to solve, especially regarding students with time accommodations. Then I saw the comparison chart, and realized that New Quizzes broke as many things as it fixed: it wasn't going to work with question banks, wouldn't play well with proctoring services, and flat-out eliminated certain question types. Now I am still struggling with all the old issues and also utterly dreading the impending new quizzes hammer.

I was hoping this video would help, but honestly, I'm even more horrified. Canvas has taken a process that should have been automated, and is requiring instructors to navigate into each quiz, find and manually import the bank questions into a different quiz shell for each bank, export the quiz data individually for each of those question-bank-quizzes, navigate through multiple windows to get to the new "item" bank, and re-import the question sets, again one-at-a-time. Then we have to completely reconstruct every single quiz, linking them back to the newly-imported question (now "item") banks. Why? We still end up with the same question banks, just renamed "item" banks, and now dumped all together in one big jumbled pile for all of our courses. I have one course with >56 short quizzes and 4 exams, all of which are linked to question banks. 180 question banks. I want to cry.

No, I'm not kidding.

These are real tears. 

Our CSM has told us to not even touch New Quizzes for production courses until it's reached its feature parity mark in the development timeline, and I think that's good advice. I sometimes read the gripes about things not working in this group and it's really unfortunate that Instructure has to use a half-baked version of its intended product to figure out what its customers want and to fix bugs. That's the price its customers have to pay for using a product that's technically still a beta feature. Let's hope they are reading all these forum messages and get their development team to meet the projected timeline goals. Yeesh, is it really supposed to be done at the end of 2022?? That's like a whole 2 years away 😬😮

bsr

I've usually been an early adopter, but I have been holding off on this one. It's really frustrating. There are some serious issues with "classic" quizzes that the developers have chosen not to fix, because they're going to be fixed in "new" or "next" or whatever they're going to be calling it whenever it finally happens. In the mean time, we're still having to spend hours managing student accommodations, which are a legal requirement and a moral imperative, because there was no functionality built into the original quizzes tool to extend all times for a student (among numerous other time-gobbling problems). Canvas is already pushing New quizzes as a solution to those issues, but the issues that it creates are at least as bad. I can't trade proctoring for disability accommodations; they are both mandated by my institution. These aren't "bells and whistles"; they are fundamental functions!

I would strongly avoid using New Quizzes at this time. They do not report student learning outcomes to the mastery learning report. They do not report institutionally loaded outcomes back to the institution. They do not pop a notification in the To Do list when there are items to be manually marked. They do not handle partial credit properly for some question types. There are issues with third party tools including test security and accessibility tools. And, most critical for me personally, they cannot be saved to the Commons as part of a course. They are local to an institution on a server in a physical location on the planet. When my institution moved their Canvas instance to a new server, I lost all of my New Quizzes because the transfer process requires moving courses through the Commons. New Quizzes, however, do not move into the Commons when a course is exported to the Commons.  New Quizzes are an external tool LTI and the URL configuration is apparently server and institution local. I will be surprised if New Quizzes have solved all issues by 2022. I remain concerned at the almost full court press for institutions now joining Canvas to use only New Quizzes, they are not ready for production environments. I have to imagine that larger institutions will ultimately pressure Canvas to delay sunset on Classic Quizzes. Avoid NQ migration as long as possible.