Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New RCE - Launch Update!

peytoncraighill
Instructure
Instructure
2 32 1,881

The moment has arrived! The [Old] Rich Content Editor is dead. Long live the [New] RCE! Here’s a post about the transition.

We’re enabling the New RCE tomorrow (January 16, 2021) for all accounts worldwide. Millions of people have already been using the New RCE for several months, so if that’s you, this update is business as usual. As we announced a few months back, if the New RCE hasn’t already been enabled at your institution, it’s going to be forced on tomorrow.

We’re leaving the New RCE flag “unlocked,” which means admins can still disable it and default to Ye Olde RCE at your institution in case of an emergency. If you’re using the Old RCE after this Saturday, you’re using a deprecated feature that will be removed altogether this summer. For that reason, we strongly recommend leaving the New RCE flag on.

Here’s a quick overview of some significant differences between the Old RCE and the New RCE:

The old sidebar has been replaced by a new drawer for inputting and managing content. The new drawer gives us a lot more flexibility to support a variety of screen sizes, it declutters the interface when it isn’t needed, and it gives you a lot more function than the old sidebar (better previews, access to course files and user files, file search, and more).

The new toolbar has less stuff on it. What’s left has been the result of a lot of trial and error, and it feels about right. If you can’t find something on the toolbar, you can find it in the menubar just above it, which has everything from the toolbar and more -- like a font selector! Play around with it! Here's what the new menubar (top) and toolbar (bottom) look like:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 7.28.22 PM.png

You can manage rich content (pictures, videos, links, etc.) by clicking on the content you want to manage. In the following example, I can click the photo of Mars and then select "Image Options" to configure the photo in the drawer.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 4.37.13 PM.png

Admins can set up to two LTI toolbar favorites per account, which will insert those LTIs directly onto the toolbar. Otherwise, the most recently used LTIs for each user will appear under the plug icon on the toolbar.

There are a few bug fixes rolling out with the deploy next Wednesday, and additional features being released in the coming months, so stay tuned!

For a more in-depth look at how the New RCE works, head over to the Canvas Guides. If you run into any problems, submitting a ticket to Support is likely the quickest route to resolution! Let me know if you need additional help.

32 Comments
michellemeazell
Community Contributor

What is the "removed altogether" date for the Old RCE? 

sjones11
Community Participant

@michellemeazell it is mentioned that this Summer the old editor will go away.  I wonder if that will be enforced or not.

medlint
Community Member

Why did this not happen as the semester ended or before it began. Sometimes I just can't believe this kind of thinking. SMH!

peytoncraighill
Instructure
Instructure

@michellemeazell & @sjones11  -- 🤔 Let me double-check. I think it's the end of July, in coordination with a couple of other things going away, but I'll confirm. It's scheduled to be removed completely on the July 17 release.

@medlint  -- Just some additional context here...Many institutions opted to turn the New RCE on before fall start last year, and many more turned it on over winter break, per our recommendation from last September. Out of an abundance of caution, we're also allowing institutions to switch back to the deprecated RCE if they feel they need to. With significant product changes, there's a balance to strike between giving adequate warning and maintaining two big, platform-wide systems (like two RCEs). Canvas is also used around the world in a bazillion contexts, so we can't wait for the perfect moment to ship things because it just doesn't exist anymore. Smaller incremental changes can help this situation, and I prefer that approach in general, but there are downsides to it too. Anyway, hope that helps explain our thinking! I'm happy to chat if you've got ideas about how we can improve our process or the product. Thanks for the feedback!

sjones11
Community Participant

I had the option of allowing the new RCE and sent out several messages that the new RCE was coming and would be enforced.  Nobody seemed to pay attention until 1/16 lol.  I'm happy that teachers have the option to go back to the old RCE but I suspect it will be a surprise again come July.  I would just like to have solid information to share with Faculty.    

cbutler
Community Member

"The Old RCE automatically converted YouTube links into little thumbnails, which were replaced with embedded videos when clicked. For a variety of reasons, the New RCE doesn't do this. To embed YouTube videos in the New RCE, you can use the YouTube LTI for RCE, or use an embed code from YouTube with the Embed button on the end of the toolbar, or paste the embed code into the HTML editor. Linking obviously also works. It’s possible in the future that we’ll incorporate support for magical automatic embedding from YouTube and a variety of other platforms, but we're not there now."

Unless I am missing something, this is not entirely correct:

So to summarize after looking over multiple threads of frustrated folks, the current state of this issue as of 01/ 20/21:

1. Only YouTube links added via the Link Tool in the New Rich Content Editor display as a link without a thumbnail.

2. Links that are pasted in the RCE itself, ie our usual use case from Google Docs, will still need to be highlighted with the link tool and edited to strip the inline video thumbnail.

3. You can also edit the HTML and manually add "class=inline_disabled" to the HTML hyperlink.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

@sjones11 you can choose to turn it on, or leave it optional. If you already messaged everyone that it will be enforced, go ahead and turn it on for your institution so you don't have to go through the transition again.

Erin

cbutler
Community Member

I don't know why my previous comment was deleted but regarding YouTube Automatically Embedded Inline Thumbnails being removed - there are certain workflows for this to work as intended:

1. Only YouTube links added via the Link icon in the New Rich Content Editor display as a link without a thumbnail.

2. Links that are pasted in the RCE itself, ie via Google Docs, need to be highlighted with the link tool and edited to strip the inline video thumbnail.

3. You can also edit the HTML and manually add "class=inline_disabled" to the HTML hyperlink.

If one of these three qualifiers aren't met, thumbnails still appear. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@cbutler I don't know why either; I saw it earlier in the thread, but just saw that it somehow got caught up in the platform's spam filter. It's back now. 🙂

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

@cbutler these scenarios would be good to pass along to our support team via a support case so they can investigate. Thank you!

Erin

Amanda_L_Albrig
Community Participant

In the new RCE, when you link to a file and then try to download the file, it first opens in a new tab and then you have to click again to get it to download, and then you need to select the option to download the file. That’s three clicks that used to only take one (maybe two). Is that something that can be resolved?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Amanda_L_Albrig Please read through this; what you've described is listed in the Canvas Current Issues space. Document links embedded using the new RCE don't do... - Canvas Community 

Amanda_L_Albrig
Community Participant

Ok, how about the issue where you need to remove a hyperlink to an item before you can link it to another item? I’ve always thought that was good practice anyway, but many folks would prefer to just highlight the text and create a new link over the old one.

sshepard
Community Participant

Stuned by the implications of this disaster. meanwhile, how in the world does one go about navigating the file structure to valid/update/etc existing files? We have a flat file system that doesn't even check for valid course id. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@sshepard I might be misunderstanding your comment, but are you referring to seeing the folder hierarchy when selecting files to insert? If so, you'll find the instructions for that starting with the View Files section of How do I create hyperlinks to course, group, and u... - Canvas Community : switching the dropdown to All reveals the folder hierarchy.

sshepard
Community Participant

Looking at the reference document, at the second photo, my version looks like quite different after clicking on a link. I cannot figure out how to attach an image, but I see a faint and fuzzy " view delete". Of course, I don't have the time now to access my PC and off to a wonderful Google classroom everything works day.

When I select "view" I get a popup of name of anchored text and the actual link that I can change. It refers to course I'd, module I'd and file id. None of which can easily determine. It is broken I have imported the original course and adjusted the dates. This is completely unusable editor.

sshepard
Community Participant

Reference ticket is case 07213098 ref 00da01bsk._5002g0egp4

Images and videos there

Amanda_L_Albrig
Community Participant

@Stefanie  Not sure if you can add this information to the Current issue report for Document links embedded using new RCE don't download , but here is how the html code differs between the link created by the new RCE vs the old RCE. The html code for the new file links looks very different.

Code New RCE uses for File links:

<p>Link to <a class="instructure_file_link instructure_scribd_file" title="CanvasNotificationSettings-Faculty with button.pdf" href="https://canvas.dartmouth.edu/courses/####/files/2####7?wrap=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener">File</a></p>

Code to force Download for File links:

<p>Link to <a class="instructure_file_link instructure_scribd_file" title="CanvasNotificationSettings-Faculty with button.pdf" href="https://canvas.dartmouth.edu/courses/####/files/2####7/download" target="_self" data-api-endpoint="https://canvas.dartmouth.edu/api/v1/courses/####/files/2####7" data-api-returntype="File">File</a></p>

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all,

Because the Rich Content Editor is being used in production, the best way to report what you're seeing (and get those behaviors corrected) is to submit a support case. That's the best way to help us all out. 

Appreciate it!

@Amanda_L_Albrig cases are added to the Current Issues space when we have a support case, and our support team has identified it as needing to be added to that page. Please pass that along to our support team if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

Erin

sshepard
Community Participant

Just in case, my Canvas in chrome is still hopelessly broken and I cannot prepare my courses. Case is:

case number 07213098

milesl
Community Contributor

Echoing @Amanda_L_Albrig : We turned the new RCE on for all users two weeks ago, and have had several instructors observe that the new RCE requires almost twice as many clicks for common workflows (inserting an image, linking to a file, etc.)

This was called out as an issue last summer, and I think a lot of us expected it to be addressed before the ship date. Can you give us an update on when to expect the outstanding items (#3/4) from this post to arrive?

sshepard
Community Participant

I just sent an email to my Dean at Yuba College explaining the difference in work flow: Old RCE: Validate the link and update as necessary; if it's the same directory,. maybe 15 seconds.

New RCE: remove the link; go out of RCE and find where the file/module/page actually lives (directory, exact name, etc). Probably should screen shot that, just in case.

Go back into RCE, select the anchor text, jump up in the screen to "insert"; try to remember the new distinction between Files and Modules/Page/etc. Once there, type the name of file extremely slowing: pausing at least 2 seconds between to keystrokes since the predictive logic is very clumsly. Look at the screen shot to remind yourself what it is you are looking, click on it. Get out of RCE

Test the link. In any case, you'll back into RCE be sure to take notes of where you left off.

I have hundreds of files, links, modules, etc. How long could this possible take?

Oh, and create an account on Google Classroom and prove that Canvas is better. I dare you.

CBergdorf
Community Member

I like the new RCE except for one function that I use constantly has been removed. I teach music courses, so in media files I used the .75x speed option a lot to have students learn along with a backing track until they were ready to play at 1x. Now the option is only .5x speed, which is too slow and sounds terrible. I understand the 1.5x and 2x for speech playback, but the slower speed options were way more compatible with learning things slowly before going full speed as we do in music teaching. Please find a way to update this and offer .75x again within the new RCE.

Thank you

walter_halil
Community Member

The new RCE media player is too limited with regards to playback speed. The previous media player allowed a user to slow down the media to .75 speed which is necessary for students to learn new content. .5 speed is too slow and the recordings are garbled when they play back making it unusable. The same goes for speeding things up: 1.25 speed is a nice challenge for the students and the media is intelligible. 1.5 speed is too fast and the sound quality is garbled and no longer musical.

The new media player is also too small in size and lacks CC capability. We have hearing impaired and LEP learners in our school who need the CC functionality!

mclgreenville
Community Member

We are JUST now finding out about that . What a mess and horrible planning.  

darren_ponman1
Community Member

Can we have the functionality of adding a new page from the link menu re-instated in the new RCE please?RCE Add Page.JPG This was an efficient tool when building courses. Image below is from the old RCE. This option not available in new RCE

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

In the new RCE, the media recorder blocks the text/content behind it, so you cannot see or read what is on the screen.  We could move the media recorder in the original RCE to be able to see the text in the textbox.  

Please fix this as often teachers, especially of younger students or EL students, or simply for UDL reasons, read their content aloud.

Also, for World Language classes, students sometimes type their text, and then record themselves reading it.

This video show the issue:  https://youtu.be/AHrE1y-0VJM

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hello, @milesl, minimizing clicks has been ongoing since October of last year; you can see all the adjustments to the Rich Content Editor in our Canvas Deploy Archive. The search fields were added Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-11-18) and Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-12-02).

@walter_halil @darren_ponman1 feedback for enhancement ideas would be best added at this point to our Idea Conversations space. That way our product team can keep track of each requested feature and also see how many other people would benefit from the suggestion.

@Hildi_Pardo this sounds like something our support team may be interested in checking out for you; would you please be so kind to submit a support case for review?

Thanks,

Erin

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Absolutely, will do!  Thanks, Erin!

Oh, and I also submitted it as an Idea:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Ability-to-Move-Media-Recorder-in-New-RCE-so-y...

UPDATE:   Hi again, @erinhmcmillan .  OK, Canvas Support said to submit it as an Idea.  Thanks again for the suggestion!

abigail_smith_2
Community Contributor

Down with the New RCE!  It was clearly not tested with real users, indicated by the fact that our workflow is twice as slow now. I'm not exaggerating.  Design work in Canvas is twice as slow with the New RCE.

2x or 3x as many clicks for everything? Hiding the most convenient features? Making alt text harder? Requiring a click on a tiny down-arrow to access needed options?  Renaming "Files" to "Documents"?  Flattening File folder structure?  What were you thinking?

The only improvement I see is Pretty HTML.  Everything else? Put it back. We don't want lots of new white space. We want the features we need available in a simple click or two.

This is not a net improvement; this is several steps backwards.  Why don't you focus your change efforts on the issues that your users are actually asking for? 

medlint
Community Member

Canvas received numerous requests for the ability to prioritize Announcements. Why was that ignored and an unnecessary reshuffling of the RCE is what we get?

Amanda_L_Albrig
Community Participant

Update on the absence of the ability to create a new page directly from the RCE that I posted a while ago. I figured out a work around. This video demonstrates the work around. Hope it works for you. https://dartmouth.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=3134798d-a13b-43aa-9a02-ad4a00e282...