[Portfolium Network] Privacy Options

Portfolium offers several options for customizing your privacy settings. You can set visibility for your profile as well as individual projects, and specify if you want employers to be able to find your profile and contact you. 

Depending on how you created your account, privacy settings have different defaults. However, you can edit your privacy settings at any time. Users under the age of consent are not allowed to create a Portfolium account unless they are joining from a trusted source, such as an LMS. By default, the Portfolium age of consent is 13 years old, however, a network may set a custom age of consent. In this document, age of consent refers to both a custom network age of consent and the Portfolium default age of consent. Additional restrictions apply to underage users, and are listed below. 

You can access the Portfolium Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in the footer of any page.

Account Creation and Default Privacy Settings

Users Joining via Portfolium.com

If a user joins Portfolium by signing up for an account on the Portfolium website using their personal email or Google/Facebook/LinkedIn credentials, their default privacy settings are as follows:

• Only allow people I’m connected with to view my profile: PUBLIC (setting disabled)
  • Prevent employers from contacting me and finding my profile: PRIVATE (setting enabled)

Notes

• Users have the option to change their privacy settings at any time in their Account Settings.
  • All users are prompted to verify their age when creating a Portfolium account. If the user is under the age of consent, Portfolium will not allow the user to create an account.

prevent-employers.png

Users Joining via a Trusted Source

If a user joins Portfolium through a link in their LMS or using credentials provided by their institution, their default privacy settings are as follows:

• Only allow people I’m connected with to view my profile: PRIVATE (setting enabled)
  • Prevent employers from contacting me and finding my profile: PRIVATE (setting enabled)

Notes

• Users have the option to change their privacy settings at any time in their Account Settings.
  • All users are prompted to verify their age when creating a Portfolium account. If the user is under the age of consent, restrictions apply and are listed below.

both-settings-enabled.png

Underage Users on Portfolium

Special restrictions apply to Portfolium users under the age of 13, or the network age of consent, if applicable.

Underage users cannot join via Portfolium.com. If an underage user joins from a trusted source, such as an LMS, Portfolium will verify their age according to their LMS account settings. If the user’s age cannot be verified by the trusted source, they will be prompted to verify as part of the onboarding process. 

Only users over the age of consent can edit their privacy settings. Additionally, users under the age of consent will not be able to generate a private link to allow others access to their profile. Assignments or projects uploaded to an underage user’s profile will automatically be set to private. The user will be able to edit assignment or project privacy when they are over the age of consent.

Portfolium Age Restrictions

Action

User < Age of Consent/13 years old

User > Age of Consent/13 years old*

Create a Portfolium Account

N^

Y

Edit Account Privacy Settings

N

Y

Edit Project Privacy Settings

N

Y

Generate Profile Public Share Link

N

Y

*A user older than 13 years old is defined as at least 13 years and 1 day old according to the birth date entered upon onboarding. A user older then the age of consent is defined as at least the age of consent and 1 day old according to the birth date entered upon onboarding.

^Users under 13 years old or the network age of consent may be able to create a Portfolium account through a trusted source, such as an LMS. However, account restrictions apply.

Account Privacy Settings

All Portfolium users are able to edit their account privacy settings at any time. Privacy settings can be accessed in a user’s profile settings. The following privacy settings are available:

• Only allow people I’m connected with to view my profile: When this setting is enabled, only people you have connected with on Portfolium will be able to view your profile. When this setting is disabled, anyone will be able to view your profile.
    • Note: When this setting is enabled you will be able to get a link to your profile to share with people you want to view your profile without connecting. Only users with the link will be able to view your profile
  • Prevent employers from contacting me and finding my profile: When this setting is enabled, employers will not be able to contact you and your profile will not display in employer search results. When this setting is disabled, employers on the Portfolium Network will be able to contact you and your profile will show up in employer search results. 

both-settings-enabled.png

Project Privacy Settings

In addition to customizing the privacy settings for your profile, you can also customize settings for each individual project you add to your portfolio. Additionally, you can edit the privacy settings of previously created projects at any time. 

Visibility Options:

• Public: This setting allows anyone on or off Portfolium to view your project. This is the least restrictive option for project privacy.
  • Portfolium Members: This setting allows signed-in Portfolium members to view your project. 
  • Connections: This setting only allows people you have connected with to view your project.
  • Private: This setting doesn’t allow anyone else, on or off Portfolium, to view your project unless you share the direct link with them.

Project Commenting

• Allow anyone on Portfolium to comment on this project: This setting allows any signed in member of Portfolium to comment on the project. You can restrict commenting to users you have connected with by setting the project visibility to Connections.

project-settings.png

Privacy Policy and Terms of Use

You can view the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use at any time from any page footer in Portfolium. By default, all accounts inherit the Instructure terms and conditions. However, your institution may have custom terms and conditions.

footer-tou-and-pp.png

FAQs

What if I don’t want my profile to appear in any search results?

Enable both privacy settings. You can privately share your profile using the link provided.

What if I want to appear in all search results and have all my profile information visible to everyone?

Disable both privacy settings. 

How should I configure my settings for maximum privacy of my profile and content?

Enable both privacy settings, and for maximum privacy, don’t connect with other users. You will be able to share your profile as needed using the public share link.

If I set my profile to private can I still search for and connect with other users?

Yes, you will be able to view other users’ profiles and request to connect. Other users will not be able to view your profile information and content until they accept the connection request.

How can I set a custom age of consent for my network as an admin?

To set a custom age of consent for your network, reach out to your Portfolium Customer Success Manager.