Adding audio recordings to PPTX slideshows

Jump to solution
jessica_hemming
Community Novice

Like many instructors, I'm trying to get the last 6 lectures of my spring class online in a hurry, with minimal previous experience. I have lots of PowerPoint slideshows, already loaded onto my Canvas page, but now I need to record my lectures too. I figured out how to use PowerPoint functions to record little chunks as audio files embedded in each slide. It played back perfectly on my Mac and seemed great, but when I load it onto Canvas, the audio icon is just an icon with no actual audio attached. When I go back and check on the Mac after closing and reopening, it's still fine there, but on Canvas nothing--no sound, no little audio bar with a "Play" arrow. Only an inert audio megaphone icon.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It has taken hours ......

1 Solution
jessica_hemming
Community Novice

Thanks, Bobby. 

It turns out not to be the browser or the device (I use Canvas regularly, but just have never tried to do anything audio before). The problem is that Canvas converts PowerPoints in such a way that audio functions are disabled. The students either have to download the slideshow to their own computers and then open it in PPT, or I have to convert it to MP4.

(To answer your question, I drag and drop PowerPoints directly into the "File" part of my Canvas course.)

Thanks again. 

View solution in original post