Can you add a rubric to an assignment once it has been published and students have submitted the task?

Jump to solution
suzanne_figures
Community Novice

I am trying to add a rubric to an existing published assignment however the +rubric option is missing. Students have already submitted the task (in December). Is there a way to add a marking rubric at this stage rather than when the assignment was initially created?

Thanks for any assistance!

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @suzanne_figures  - You can add a rubric at any time to an assignment; even after you have graded it, that +RUBRIC button should be there.  But, you say you don't have one?!?  That is most unusual; it should always be there, and it makes me wonder if you are trying to edit something in a class that has switched to a "read-only" format...such as course from the previous term.  After a term ends, most institutions have their courses set so that they are "read only." You may want to check with your local support on this.  Just for grins, in that same course try heading to ASSIGNMENTS.  Is there an +ASSIGNMENT button?  If not, then that's your answer.  The course is past its ends date and can no longer be edited.

If you were trying to prepare for a future class and it's available, you may want to add the rubric there instead.  If this is indeed a current class and that you are teaching and all other editing tools are available, this is unusual behavior and should probably be reported to Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem) or your local support. 

(Also, make sure you're not in the EDIT screen; the +RUBRIC button is available on the main assignment's landing screen BEFORE you click EDIT. I get thrown myself from time to time by that!)

Hope this helps a bit, Suzanne.

View solution in original post