Help with Large Art Files in Free Teachers' Canvas

Jump to solution
jennifercopp_ph
Community Novice

I teach at a state college in my area and have many online classes in photography and art (large files). I would like to download my assignments and classes to the free for teachers' version of Canvas for a new not for profit art school class I am teaching. When I download my class from the college and try to upload it to the free version my files are too big. I can't seem to find a way to either shrink the class or bypass the upload size. I wish there could be some exception made so that I can just get it onto the free site and make decisions there about how to reduce the file sizes and data in the class. If I delete files in my college class I feel I might accidentally throw something away that those students need. Help!

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @jennifercopp_ph ...

I just happened to see a side conversation about the course size limit in FFT (Free For Teachers) accounts this afternoon.  Compared to a paid account (where a course gets 500MB of storage space), a FFT course only gets 250MB of available storage space.  Have you considered moving some of your larger images to cloud storage such as on Google Drive or Dropbox.com?  You could make a folder specifically for your course in one of those cloud storage services, and then you could share a link to that folder in your FFT course.  You might also want to check the permissions on those folders so that nobody outside of your course would get access accidentally.

I hope this information might be help to you, Jennifer.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Be well, and stay safe!

View solution in original post