cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martijn_koops
Surveyor II

How can I make an assignment "required" to get the final grade.

Jump to solution

In my course I have three assignments.

• One assignment results in a score of max 100 points.
  • The other two are complete / incomplete assignments

The student can only get the final grade (score for the first assignment) if the other two are completed.
These two are required for the students to get a grade.

How do I configure this in the gradebook?

Is there anyone out there who knows this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@martijn_koops , greetings! My recommendation is to use requirements and pre-requisites. 

Specifically, you'd do the following:

1. Put the two incomplete/complete assignments in one module (Module A).

2. Put the assignment worth 100 points in a different module (Module B).

3. For the two incomplete/complete assignments, add requirements for them as part of the Module A settings. For what you want, it would probably be that the student got full credit (complete) on them. See this guide - How do I add requirements to a module?

4. For the assignment worth 100 points, you'd want to apply the Module B settings to make Module A (with the other two assignments) a pre-requisite. See this guide - How do I add prerequisites to a module?

What all of this does is make it so students have to complete the two incomplete/complete assignments before they can get access to the 100 point assignment. 

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@martijn_koops , greetings! My recommendation is to use requirements and pre-requisites. 

Specifically, you'd do the following:

1. Put the two incomplete/complete assignments in one module (Module A).

2. Put the assignment worth 100 points in a different module (Module B).

3. For the two incomplete/complete assignments, add requirements for them as part of the Module A settings. For what you want, it would probably be that the student got full credit (complete) on them. See this guide - How do I add requirements to a module?

4. For the assignment worth 100 points, you'd want to apply the Module B settings to make Module A (with the other two assignments) a pre-requisite. See this guide - How do I add prerequisites to a module?

What all of this does is make it so students have to complete the two incomplete/complete assignments before they can get access to the 100 point assignment. 

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks Kona,

The problem is that we do not have that chronological order is our curriculum.
The students can start with the assigment B, so they must be able to see it, even if they did not yet finish assignments A...

Do you have another suggestion maybe?

Kind regards

Martijn

saurilio
Learner

What I don't understand for the purpose of using requirements is the numerical value to use.

I have a complete/incomplete assignment with zero points. Does the assignment need points, (at least 1) to function with the module requirement "score at least"? The idea is that the instructor will score the assignment complete thus opening up the next task in the sequence.