cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How to get Canvas to recognize a correct answer in Fill-in-multiple-blank questions

Hi,

Can you give me a suggestion of how to prevent a correct answer in fill-in-multiple-blanks questions from being incorrectly marked wrong?

See pic.  I am grading for capitalization and punctuation.  This answer appears to be correctly written but is marked wrong.  This is happening frequently with this type of test question.  

325208_Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 5.29.57 PM.png

I have been wondering if maybe font could be the issue?  Any suggestions of what I can do to avoid this would be appreciated!

Thank you!

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi,

While you create this quiz, you would see correct answer field and possible answer filed.

Please add the correct option in correct option field.

Hope this helps.!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

The picture I uploaded shows the correct answer as well as the answer provided by the student. They appear to be exactly the same; however, the student answer is marked as Incorrect.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Sheri,

Please refer to the screenshot attached.

325247_pastedImage_2.png

And the student view

325248_pastedImage_3.png

Hope this helps,

Ashok

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lamplighter

sdimos@hse.k12.in.us,

In legacy quizzes, capitalization is not considered when grading an answer. How do I create a Fill-in-Multiple-Blanks quiz question? 

325234_pastedImage_2.png

The answer field and text-entry field are text only, the font information isn't transferred, so it shouldn't matter.

How are the students entering the answer? Better yet, how did you enter the answer?

I was able to duplicate the issue -- it's not the capitalization -- it's that I put a non-breaking space in my answer. If you copy/pasted your answer from somewhere that had a non-breaking space there, then it may be considered wrong.

325250_pastedImage_3.png

The reason I say may be considered wrong is that when I copy/paste HTML that has the nbsp entity in it, it works. However, if I hold down the Alt and then hit 0160 on the numeric keypad, Windows inserts a non-breaking space and it is not treated as a regular space. I'm not sure how the process works on a mac.

So, if either you or the students are copy/pasting the answers, this might be the cause of the problem. If it is a single student having the problem, then it would likely be something they're doing. If lots of students are having the problem, then it's likely something you did.

The fix is to not copy/paste. If you're doing it, you can fix it. There's no way to compensate for the student doing it with legacy quizzes. Some people would argue that the student should miss the question since they copy/pasted, but it may depend on what you're trying to do -- if your assignment is to copy/paste, then you obviously want that.