cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Why doesn't Canvas Studio automatically caption videos?

The process for students to caption their videos is so clunky! I don't think any of them will actually follow the steps. I am very hesitant to use Canvas Studio because I fear students with hearing issues will not have full access.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @christinal ...

Only videos that have been uploaded (I refer to them as original video content) can be captioned by Canvas Studio.  It's my understanding that if a user adds YouTube videos to Canvas Studio, those videos cannot have captions generated for legal reasons.  I do agree that the process to edit the auto-generated captions for original video content is quite clunky, and I wish there was an easier way to edit captions.  It is possible to download the captioning file, edit it, and then re-upload it back to the video.  I typically have used the Wordpad (not Notepad) program on my PC in some cases if I am editing captions.

I'm not sure this provides a full answer for you...but I thought I'd chime in with some of my thoughts.  Hope this helps in some way.  Take care, and stay safe.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels