cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

Classic Quiz Sunset 2024 Feedback

This thread has been opened for comments and suggestions about the updated Classic Quizzes Sunset Timeline. 

128 Replies
Blstirling

I would love to have the option to print the quiz on paper. The way it currently prints is too large and doesn't look right.  

We'd love to know more about this @Blstirling . Please keep in mind that three factors which could contribute to how it prints: the size of the text in the quiz, if your browser scaling size is adjusted (most browsers allow you to zoom size in or out) and the font size print modal choice you selected (M/L/XL).  

SandraONeil
Community Member

Please do not sunset Classic Quizzes until you fix the ability to report institutional level outcomes via New Quizzes at the account/admin level!  This is critical for assessing programs using quizzes across multiple instructors and sections.  

0 Kudos

Hello @SandraONeil Ben is looking into Outcomes associations with New Quizzes now: Share Your Input

0 Kudos
Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Hi @SuSorensen, thanks for responding to everyone's feedback!

On the Transparency into Quizzes Planning - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) chart I don't see anything about New Quizzes respecting Canvas roles/permissions.  We have several custom roles where no course content editing or grading is allowed, yet any role based on Teacher allows full editing and moderation/grading of quizzes.  

Also exporting to QTI of new quizzes and item banks is essential.  This will make it easier to share banks and quizzes between teachers, without being tied to the original teacher's item banks. A fresh copy owned just by the importer.  Also great for teachers who teach in more than one district, or who are part of a consortium for developing quality subject specific content.  I hope this will be available this year.

Thank you!

gpillsbury
Community Contributor

Sorry, I still need some help with the terminology on the new chart, specifically the purple Customer Controls.  Which item in that row corresponds to "no more Classic quizzes can be created"?  This used to be July 1, 2022 but I'm not seeing an obvious replacement for that in the terminology that's in the purple row now. Is that action item represented by the July 1, 2024 date?

And what does "disable Classic quiz interactions" mean?

Thanks,
Glenn

0 Kudos

Hi Glenn, 

Disable Classic quiz interactions means that users cannot create, edit or take a Classic Quiz. The Classic Quiz historical information will still be viewable from the user interface but users can't do anything with that except view or copy as a New Quiz. 

Customers can opt into this experience as soon as August, but it will not be enforced until June 2024. 

Maybe updating the language to view only would help. Thanks for asking. 

So just to clarify as we too are finding the Timeline graph verbiage difficult to really understand as it relates to actions that need to taken: 

Is it correct that: There is no imperative for faculty to migrate an old/Classic quiz to a New Quizzes because faculty can migrate something from old/Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes up to June 2024?

0 Kudos

Hello Pamela, 

Q: "Is it correct that: There is no imperative for faculty to migrate an old/Classic quiz to a New Quizzes because faculty can migrate something from old/Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes up to June 2024?"

A: I think I'm hearing two concerns here that you'd like clearing up. 1. Will migration just happen one time, so we need to move everything that matters by a specific time? 2. Will Canvas be telling me when we need to migrate prior to June 2024?

1. We are not viewing migration as a mandatory, one time event.

Pragmatically that means:

If a different adjunct/facilitator or original creator wants to teach something based on content created as a Classic Quiz in 2022, it can be reused in 2026 and will automatically be formatted as a New Quiz. 

2. I know this is probably confusing since Canvas has switched tack based on customer feedback. Hopefully you'll also feel this is more supportive, even though it is different from earlier communications. In terms of an imperative for usage: this has shifted to empower institutional determination. The availability of these are listed on the Customer Controls section of the timeline with more detail here: Self Enablement (Feature Flags) to control New Quizzes. Since institutions best know their user's experience and standard change cycles, they should decide when some migration is needed to support when Classic Quizzes will be turned off.  

gpillsbury
Community Contributor

Thanks for the clarification!

0 Kudos
ktoth

top 3 New Quizzes requests:

1. Essay question- allow the textbox for essay typing to be more user-friendly, formattable and more easily enlarged so students can see their essays more clearly.

2. Allow bank questions to be individually transferred/copied , not in a bulk with points not modifiable.

3. Allow giving extra time after a student has started his/her quiz.  Perhaps this issue is because of the LDB/Respondus monitor pairing. Not sure.

KGT

misimmo1
Community Member

We want to be able to link documents in the textbox for instructions. We currently use this for our MSE students to pull their comprehensive questions. I have to say, for our purposes for this activity I do not like the New Quizzes. Pulling questions from several banks is not user friendly in new quizzes at all.  😞

jbagley
Community Participant

Until New Quizzes show up in the grading "To Do" list, there is no possible way that I will pick New Quizzes over Classic Quizzes.  Having to go through your many assignments, repeatedly, to check for new submissions is a full-time job in and of itself.  This must be implemented, and it really should have been done years ago. 

eric_orton
Community Contributor

I understand that New Quizzes will not include the ability to have what classic quizzes calls a "graded survey." I work with many faculty members who use this feature to provide students with automatic credit for submitting an assignment--typically made up of one or more open-ended (essay) questions or a file-upload questions. We really need a way to address this use case in New Quizzes. Perhaps there could be a checkbox on instructor-graded question types that, when checked, causes full credit to be awarded for that question as long as an answer was submitted.

gpillsbury
Community Contributor

I agree with @eric_orton about the usefulness of graded surveys. In Moodle there is a useful add-in called Questionnaire which automatically awards points when a student submits. Graded Survey fulfilled this in Classic Quizzes. Faculty use it to assign students a daily prompt. They then scan the responses before class in order to generate discussion in class.  The actual content of the students response is not graded, but they get points for participating. This is needed in New Quizzes. 

gpillsbury
Community Contributor

Just to follow up that the interface would need an easy way for the instructor to view all of the responses in a single page and not just individually in SpeedGrader.  In my example above, the point of the daily prompt is to skim all the responses before going into class. That’s not very feasible if the responses are locked into the SpeedGrader workflow. Currently in graded surveys, SpeedGrader is only way to view the actual responses and it’s not helpful. 

techlab
Community Member

It's very strange that "New Quizzes" has been rolled out as a feature. It is obviously in development, as it doesn't have half of the features that are necessary and are present in "Old" Quizzes. In addition, it is not fully integrated into the core product.

I have been using Canvas now for almost two years, and the feature is still not integrated in a way that is helpful or meaningful. Can you either put a dedicated team on this or stop pretending it is ready for release?

themidiman
Community Champion

Longtime Canvas users like our institution vs newer adopters see new quizzes differently. “New” can convey “better than” but if half baked as currently constituted is the current state then the perception is that nobody is working on it. That’s the purpose of a customer success manager to guide the customer appropriately to what should be used for the prime time quizzing engine, while communicating what is being worked on. If you spend enough time to connect the dots you will see it’s not an empty effort to get it completed. It’s just taking a loooooonnng freaking time. 😣😒🙁

0 Kudos

I definitely appreciate the work and the level of difficulty that go into developing the software. It’s a huge undertaking and eventually it will be much better. I’m looking forward to that moment!

The frustration I have is more related to the fact that it was rolled out as a “new” (regardless of the connotation) replacement option. There are specific terms in software development for the current state of the software. This isn’t even functional at a Beta state, but it has been available to public users as an either/or option for years.

Every six months or so I give the benefit of the doubt and create a New Quiz, only to have to recreate it. Its obviously minor considering the amount of work that is being done on the back end, but it easily could have been avoided by calling the software what it is.

It was literally this week that I found out the dev timeline goes through 2024. New Quizzes shouldn’t even be a link on the page.

Yeah, I totally get it. We've recently been jerked around with a "prepare now" message in the Community Forums and from our CSM. We originally were going to have to prep for a March transition, and then the reins were pulled in based on feedback from the Community. That's why it's been pushed out to 2024.

The way I see it, is that in order to get the best information on how to make sure the improvements are getting worked on is to deploy it in production but make it optional to use. Side-car LTI has worked for Instructure in past product enhancements, but a lot of things have gone wrong with New Quizzes. I don't know how it could have gone differently after seeing how the first "version" of Canvas and its Quizzing engine from day one of our institution was built. Rather than improve it in place, the strategy was to build it from the ground up and link it into the main product via LTI. 

The best the community can do is for institutions that have adopted Canvas as their primary LMS to formulate a strategy for continued testing within their ranks with the understanding that it's got some work left to be done before it's the only quizzing option. 18 months may seem like a long time, but it will be here before we know it. Hopefully this satisfies customers who were told to treat it as the better of the two options and ignore Classic Quizzes, along with users in my institution who have had issues transitioning to New Quizzes from Classic Quizzes.

nburden
Community Participant

Since you have chosen not to continue using multiple dropdowns, I have been trying to find information on whether Matching questions will eventually allow for HTML/images/audio links.   Is that going to be part of the new RCE changes that are coming?

Also, are there plans for a bulk editor for the Item Banks? Currently I need to delete or assign them one at a time, which is very time consuming when even one small course can have 10+ pages of banks, and we have hundreds of courses to convert.

hesspe
Community Champion

@SuSorensen My apologies if this has already been asked. I searched here but didn't find an answer.  Will the feature flag "Enforce Migration to New Quizzes" be available at the sub-account level?  If this is not in the plan, may I make an impassioned plea that it be added?  I can't think of any other way for us to arrange for an orderly transition, as we find very few faculty members willing to make the transition voluntarily.

0 Kudos

Hello Peter! Thanks for starting this discussion. We were thinking "Enforce" might be at the site admin level but a different flag for "Allow" at the subaccount level, for the purposes of training and transitional cohorts. What do you think; how would you go about a transition at BC?

Here's where you can find the post about flags and proposed availability.

0 Kudos
joe_fahs
Community Participant

Hello @SuSorensen 

In the New Quizzes Feature Comparison document, there is a footnote to Surveys: Third-party tools can be connected to Canvas if an institution needs true survey capability. Canvas will meet many needs similar to surveys with future tooling.  Does "future tooling" refer to the Before July 2023 proposed features in the transparency planning document   Zero point New Quizzes do not display in the Gradebook, Gather anonymous student feedback, and Anonymous grading for New Quizzes? 

0 Kudos
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Today was a professional development day for our teachers, and in a more general presentation about Canvas, one session of attendees had some feedback items on New Quiz features:

• Graded Surveys? are these on the roadmap? teacher just wanted a full points/no points for completing the survey, but the way complete/incomplete scores a quiz doesn't work. I see some discussion about graded surveys about, but I also thought I had seen a workaround recently. Is there one, or is this feature going to be included in New Quizzes?
  • Editing quiz questions after students have started: I don't think I've come across much feedback on this workflow, but the teacher I spoke to was frustrated that she could not correct an error on a quiz question discovered during her first period so that the question was correct when her other 3 classes took the quiz later in the day. She appreciated that Classic Quizzes gives you a warning, allowing you to decide whether or not to proceed, and felt manually rescoring the erroneous quizzes for one period was better than having the error remain in the quiz for the other class periods.
  • Matching Questions (non text entries): Mentioned in a recent post above...will the new RCE updates allow teachers to add images and math equations to their matching questions. "Math equations everywhere!" was a specific comment I received.
pjonas1
Community Participant

@audra_agnelly wrote:
  • Editing quiz questions after students have started: I don't think I've come across much feedback on this workflow, but the teacher I spoke to was frustrated that she could not correct an error on a quiz question discovered during her first period so that the question was correct when her other 3 classes took the quiz later in the day. She appreciated that Classic Quizzes gives you a warning, allowing you to decide whether or not to proceed, and felt manually rescoring the erroneous quizzes for one period was better than having the error remain in the quiz for the other class periods.

OMG, this. Currently my workflow is to delete any question that has a mistake for the semester. It's terrible not being able to edit a question that's in production.

JoshuaHarper
Community Participant

@audra_agnelly@pjonas1@SuSorensen 

I appreciate the ability to regrade certain question types, and I frequently find myself having to edit the allowable answers for vocabulary sections of quizzes. (Fill-in-the-blank using regular expressions to give multiple possible correct answers.)

Is there any plan to allow regrading of all question types?

More than once I've wanted to change the point value of an essay (or other question type) after the students have taken the quiz; in one case I made a mistake when setting up the quiz, and in another I realized that one question was weighted too heavily compared to the rest of the quiz. As NQ currently stands, I don't think it is possible to change the point value for an essay (or several other question types) for a quiz students have completed, though I am able to edit a copy of the question--which I hope means that next year's students will see the corrected quiz/test.

meixnerja

Just to make sure I understand. We don't need to transition to the new quizzes, the quizzes I currently have will remain. Is that correct? 

0 Kudos

New Quizzes will be the only quizzing tool after Classic Quizzes is sunset. You will be able to reuse the content created in your Classic Quizzes in New Quizzes with the migration process. 

0 Kudos
AnaDiaz-Collazo

I was trying to use the New Quizzes, but I noticed that there's not the option to perform Ungraded Surveys or Graded Surveys on that version of quizzes. I'm wondering how a new version is supposed to be better but comes with less functionality. I have devoted long hours of work to create Surveys, some of them graded, others ungraded, and it looks like I'm going to lose all that work if I have to take this out of the Canvas environment.

I teach Spanish, and I use Ungraded Surveys as placement forms in Spanish. I liked how the system showed me the names of students who clicked on Beg1 others on Beg2 and so on. That makes it so easy to place students at the beginning of the classroom. The system also generates an Excel report which I keep for reference during the courses. Students respond the survey because they see it as a required assignment within the rest of the Canvas assignments.

I also teach education. I use Graded Surveys for students to submit weekly Observation Protocols. The Survey is graded on completion, and I like how the system assigns that grade automatically, without looking at the correctness of answers. This reassures students to respond to the surveys without the pressure of some questions being wrong. I can type the points on completion anyway, but this has two problems: 1) more work to go on individual typing 2) increase students' concern on why they got a question wrong and then I'll have to respond to endless emails saying: I'll correct that manually. And again, using other software outside Canvas will make a hassle to correct and type everything.

I'm using Classic Quizzes to keep creating Surveys on Canvas. The Observation Protocols are roughly the same questions every week, with few variations, so I have to duplicate them for each week. Then it happened that Canvas does not allow me to duplicate Classic Quizzes anymore, and I have to use other trick, such as moving it to Commons or pretend that I copy it to a different course then I copy it to myself.

I don't understand why to change classic quizzes for something that will take more work to use, adapt, and even with less functionality.

What I dislike about Classic Quizzes is that looking up questions in the question bank is such a nightmare that it's just easier to add the question again manually. Just fix the question banks, and you wouldn't need to do experiments with the New Quizzes.

Another thing I don't understand is why the New Quizzes shows that the quiz will be on an external tool, and a strange link shows up there. Is that not part of Canvas anymore?

0 Kudos
sharris
Community Participant

@SuSorensen - Will Canvas correct the issue where New Quizzes always copy as unpublished (even if they were published in the course you copy from) ? For a campus with 750+ master shells and 5,000+ exams that copy to online courses every 8 weeks, it's unreasonable from a Q/A perspective for faculty to remember to publish these (we publish them in the master shells for a reason). 

0 Kudos

Hello @sharris, this is fix is underway for copying or importing quizzes, so that the original published or unpublished state will persist into the copyed/imported quiz. Looks like it should make it into beta before the end of the month. 

0 Kudos
ThomasDrieam
Partner
Partner

For those looking for a (3rd party) solution to (un)graded surveys: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Partner-Listings/Partner-Listing-Qualtrics-LTI-by-Drieam/ta-p/436...

Disclaimer: not a free tool, unfortunately, but might help some mitigate the survey issue as we go through migration. 

0 Kudos
cmeuer
Community Member

I would really like to see bonus questions be a part of the roll out of New Quizzes. I know there is a workaround (making the question 0 points and adding value during grading), but an auto graded bonus would be a great addition.

jbagley
Community Participant

A link to the timeline here would be very helpful.

Also, I don't know if I saw anything about migrating Classic Quizzes question banks to the New Quizzes question bank.  We need to have that before we can get rid of Classic Quizzes.  I do not want to have to enter tens of thousands of my previous questions into New Quizzes, and I'm sure anyone else who uses a random bank of questions in Classic Quizzes feels the same.

nburden
Community Participant

Currently we import our course content and assessments from Moodle, which imports quizzes as classic quizzes.  Will support be added for us to import as new quizzes? If so, where does that fit in the timeline?

0 Kudos
jmoore3
Community Member

We are continually encouraging our elementary teachers to use Canvas more.  One of the features that would be fantastic for our primary teachers is the categorization type of quiz.  Sadly, teachers are not keen to use this feature because it doesn't offer partial credit for grading.  Please pursue the partial credit feature that has been implemented in the matching feature in new quizzes.

jbogacki
Community Participant

This is so necessary!
0 Kudos
LMacaulay
Community Participant

I appreciate all of the work going into the New Quizzes.  I have a simple request. Any possibility of either adding or moving the "Cancel, Save, Build" buttons that are currently at the bottom to the top right?  It is bothersome to have to scroll to see the build button when I have designed the quiz details already and just need to edit or moderate a quiz.

Floating buttons would be even better. But there is a quick way to access the "Build" page. In Quizzes, click the three dots (vertical ellipsis) out to the right of the quiz and choose "Build." It saves a click and some scrolling.

Build option.png