Announcing the upcoming Canvas Inbox Refactor

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Product Blog Headers -- 1200 x 200.png

A refactored version of Canvas Inbox will be available for usage and testing in Beta on 9/15.

What does that mean for you, the user?
Code refactoring is defined as “the process of restructuring and improving computer code without changing or adding to its external behavior and functionality”; therefore, you can expect a more consistent Inbox UI, an improved mobile web experience, better Inbox interactions and better and improved accessibility. All of that without any change to the way you’re used to Inbox behaving, as there are no changes to the original functionality. Users should expect no visible changes via this effort, as minimal visual differences are introduced in this effort. Inbox remains the same and great messaging tool you use to communicate with a group, a course or with individual students.

Then why refactor? This update utilizes InstUI for Inbox, Instructure’s internal design language, to provide improved accessibility and quality experiences. Updating the code now makes it much easier to change and improve it later, as we consider future functionality updates, old code slows the time and effort required by our engineers to enhance our products for you.

What do I need to do? We’re so glad you asked! Before we introduce this refactored version to Production, we’re asking you/our community to use the updated Beta version and provide any necessary feedback and/or concerns. While there have been no updates or changes made to the Inbox functionality, we’re definitely not perfect and there could be a bug in the code that we’re not aware of. The ask is not for feedback on requested functionality changes and/or updates - the ask is that you make us aware of refactored code/functionality not operating as it does today. You can respond to this post and share here or discuss your feedback in the Features Q&A space in the Community.

What’s next for the Inbox refactor? We’re glad you asked that too! The refactored code will sit in Beta for thirty days to allow users an opportunity to check it out, then we will move this code from Beta to Production in the October 15th release to replace the Inbox code currently in Production. This process will be seamless to you, as the user, as we expect to identify any potential issues and/or bugs, with your assistance, while in Beta.

As always, thank you for your interest in Canvas, in Inbox, your dedication to your students and for being a valued member of our Community! If at any time you would like to share your experience, provide feedback or discuss needed functionality, click this link to sign up for time to have a brief chat with me and a couple of team members. 

Tags (2)

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

9 Comments
khargrove
Community Participant

If the Inbox is being looked at by Instructure for improved functionality, we'd love for an RCE to be considered on the front end? We understand the backend code is being updated, but it's the inclusion of the RCE that would really help users.
In terms of accessibility, it is frustrating not being able to use descriptive links v. having to settle for copy+pasting in URLs in the Inbox message. Thanks!

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

When is Instructure going to add observer linking as native functionality to the Inbox? You have recently added this feature to the Message Students Who... tool. K12 districts absolutely need this functionality to communicate with parents and have been begging Instructure to implement it for years.

We currently have some custom JS installed that does link all of a student's observers to the message. Another admin has kindly shared in the community, but it is not supported by Instructure and I am terrified it's going to break with this refactoring.

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

@khargrove and @audra_agnelly  Thank you both for your feedback! We're currently working on updates to the Discussions Redesign to move toward full adoption of that functionality in 2023. With that and at this time, Inbox is not prioritized for functionality updates. However, we are noting all feedback that is received and will do additional discovery when we're able to reprioritize Inbox for future updates.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

@JDPearson that is very disappointing to hear. In Beta I see that our Include Observers button is no longer there. I am hopeful the original designer is able to update the code for the refactoring but it should not be on the shoulders of an Instructure client to develop and maintain code for teachers to be able to identify a student's linked observers when they are using the Canvas Inbox. You have already identified that there is a need for this functionality in the recently released update to the Message Students Who tool. Why are staff limited to linking parents from that tool but not from the Inbox? That lack of uniform functionality across communication tools makes no sense to me. If this 30 day period in Beta is to evaluate and provide feedback I would ask that this release is delayed until functionality to add linked observers to messages has been incorporated.

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

@audra_agnelly Again I thank you for the feedback. The Inbox code was refactored, as I originally stated, and is not being updated at this time for the reasons I stated above. It is in Beta, as is our standard, and will be moved to Production as is.

Since the Include Observers button is custom code and not standard to Inbox, it unfortunately will be impacted with the refactoring. I apologize for that inconvenience and certainly understand your overall frustration. Uniform functionality is definitely a strategy discussion point in consideration by our senior leadership.

jelam
Community Member

Your original post indicated "Before we introduce this refactored version to Production, we’re asking you/our community to use the updated Beta version and provide any necessary feedback and/or concerns." However, your most recent post indicates that the feedback and/or concerns gathered are not a consideration for Infrastructure in this release. The new UI obfuscation severely limits our ability to create our own custom features to solve this issue, which has been a problem with Canvas for a long time. This seems as if it's being deployed as a feature but it's not configurable. I hope your senior leadership is considering the importance of effective communication with families for k-12 school systems. Lack of this feature will mean our staff will use Canvas less. 

nvissari
Community Novice

@JDPearson there are significant differences between communicating through the gradebook UI vs. new inbox UI. I would love to see some consistency between these interfaces. And it sounds like that's what you are after too but you just aren't there yet.

Is there a reason this new inbox feature cannot be disabled in settings? This causes a huge impact for some and it's been implemented thus far under a feature flag, however disabling the feature is not supported. How about opening up the the setting and let the customer decide when to switch?

WolseyHallSupp
Community Explorer

@JDPearson I agree with many comments made here as we, too, still use the MSGOBS script, and I don't understand why Instructure, with the new update, couldn't also write the script rather than disrupting our work and maybe seeing it on Canvas sometime in 2023. It makes no sense the logic the istructure uses!

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author