Canvas Data 2: API draft specification available for feedback

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

Edina_Tipter
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

First, a big THANK YOU to all who have completed the CD2 survey. I was really excited to see how this number has been growing day by day, a number that shows a great interest in what we are building. The amount of responses will guide us in the product decisions to ensure Canvas Data 2 meets your needs. We are also using the results to validate some of our assumptions and anticipate future improvement needs.

API DRAFT specification

Taking into consideration the survey results as well as the inputs from the customer interviews, we have prepared the following draft API specification that you are invited to review. Please share your feedback in the comments section of this blog post. This version will be available for feedback until we release the next updated version of it, which I will share in another blog post.

This specification is a draft because even though the designed endpoints are close to our MVP* goals of the product, we would consider adjustments as needed depending on your input. Furthermore, we are in the process of validating the schema which WILL CHANGE to become more accurate, so please don’t start building your processes until it is final. 

Given this is a draft, I won’t be explicitly communicating the exact changes, but I will share the next updated version and I will react of course to your questions. In the API spec the list of available tables is accurate and these shall be available to you in CD2.

It is important to say as well that some features mentioned in the specification might be rolled out on an incremental basis, and for that I will take into consideration the feedback I receive(d) and will communicate that explicitly in an upcoming blog post. Considerations will only be minor things and nothing that would stop anyone from using CD2.

CD2 progress and timeline

In terms of the progress and timeline, I am grateful to our engineering team that, in spite of the unexpected changes and extra tasks they had to take on starting this year, I can happily share that we are still on track with our milestones for 2022: rolling out the product to early access (alpha) customers in the first half of this year, and preparing the open beta and General Availability for the second half of this year. This plan wouldn’t be possible without the steady management support and the perseverance, expertise, and hard work of the development team. 

I am sure that everybody is excited to finally touch and feel CD2, which is getting closer and closer as we speak.

I look forward to your feedback regarding our API draft.

*MVP (Minimum Viable Product) is the version of a new product that allows a team to collect the maximum amount of validated learning about customers with the least amount of effort. (Eric Ries) (Product development doesn’t stop at the MVP level, this is just our first milestone we want to achieve.)

Tags (3)

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

19 Comments