"Alexa, ask Canvas..."

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Attendees, and Twitter (#InstCon), were buzzing with news of the new Canvas Alexa integration, following Jared Stein’s InstructureCon keynote Thursday afternoon. Jared stood on the center stage and directed Alexa to “Ask Canvas about my grades”, along with other requests.

Here’s a snapshot (courtesy of @lindajeanlee on Twitter) of what Alexa can do now.

244830_Alexa features.png

So, how will this new leap forward into digital assistance and voice services impact education? That’s for you to help define!

Read more about Canvas Skill for Amazon Alexa, in Extra Credit: The Canvas Blog. Help contribute to future development by completing the survey at the top of the Community Canvas Studio page or submitting a new feature idea (use the tag #alexa).

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

10 Comments
meichin
Community Participant

There has been some discussion about FERPA  and privacy concerns as the Alexa  delivers grade information.  Is there documentation on that we can share with our faculty?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
meichin
Community Participant

Thank you!

zal5010
Community Novice

Is the Canvas Skill available now? I can't seem to find it in the Skills Store.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@zal5010 , when I searched on "Canvas" in the Skills store through the Alexa app, the Canvas skill came up right away. Have a look at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11957-digital-assistant-canvas-skill-for-alexa?sr=search&se...‌ for guidance.

zal5010
Community Novice

Thanks Stefanie. I swear I searched "canvas" in the skills section last night and nothing came up. This morning, it popped right up -- making me a liar, haha! Thanks!

hottingert
Community Participant

Any updates on new skills?  Timeline?  Thanks.

jared
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We've just updated the Canvas Skill for Alexa! The Skill now has a PIN feature so users can require that Alexa first hear the PIN code before she will answer Canvas requests.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Awesome  @jared ‌!

This is one of my favorite things about Instructure - you listen!

And speaking of listening, I understand you will be joining our Washington Annual Canvas Conference next month. Great news, and thank you for joining the fun!

Kelley

khaled_al-ankar
Community Participant

Are you sure you have Alexa working in the UK. I’ve tried a number of times and I keep getting “Alexa can’t open your canvas skill right now?” 

Thanks 

Khaled