Barriers to Stakeholder Adoption

zoey_haskins
Community Member

So my questions are:

1. For those of us with more fully-developed Canvas instances: What have the major impediments been to positive engagement by teachers/course designers and students? Were they predictable and how have you addressed them?
  2. For the rest of us, what barriers were predicted and what have you done/are you doing to mitigate them?

From my end, I'm thinking more about Canvas as it's used by organizations delivering face-to-face learning sessions. Clearly there are barriers for all delivery contexts and there will be a great deal of overlap. The core of the question I guess is how do you make Canvas a "want to" rather than a "have to" for both teachers and students?

Our predicted (and realized) issues revolve around the time and enthusiasm necessary to develop interesting courses. Our previous LMS was a bit of a flop and my sense is that it left a sour taste in some of our teachers' mouths. We've got some keen teachers who are making a good effort. I'd put that at about 15% of our total base. Others seem to be putting in a minimally-sufficient effort, and possibly another 10% are dragging their heels. We have very lenient requirements for the first go-round of course development, basically just moving content over from the previous LMS.

According to management we're okayed to establish a Canvas advocate in each of the 4 faculties, in order to start to build a bit of esprit de corps. So far we've got 1 person nominated as such, in our ESOL faculty. Presumably the remainder will come around next year(?)