Canvas and Internet Explorer

Jump to solution
aouellette1
Community Novice

I noticed that Canvas is not supported by Internet Explorer anymore.  I used to be able to check my Canvas at work and am now no longer able to do so as of this semester.  When did this change occur, and are there any plans to consider using IE again? Now I have to use my phone at work on my breaks, which is doable, but not as effective as having a large computer screen.  Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

It was announced by April 23, 2019, that Canvas would no longer support Internet Explorer 11. I. n March 2018, it was downgraded to a "functionally supported" browser, although there have been issues with people using IE long before then.

Canvas has voiced no plans to bring back functional support for Internet Explorer and I would be surprised if they ever do. It's old technology (released in October 2013) that doesn't follow web standards well and so the software developers had to include so extra code just so Canvas would work with Internet Explorer. Microsoft has said that more people are switching to Edge and that Internet Explorer will be discontinued.

The change was set to happen on August 3, 2019, but Canvas changed their release cycle, so I don't know if that date was kept or it was moved to August 17.

Here is some additional information about it: Canvas Changes Archive 

You might check to see if Microsoft Edge is installed on your work computer. If it isn't and your employer is okay with you doing school work while you're on the clock, then you might ask if they can install Chrome on the computer for you. Microsoft Edge seems flaky with Canvas too (we steer students to Chrome, Firefox, or Safari). Edge is also a bit stale (hasn't had a new release in 2 years according to the Timeline of web browsers). 

View solution in original post

0 Likes