What is the Canvas test environment?

Document created by jivedocs@instructure.com Employee on Jun 13, 2018
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Official Canvas Document

Canvas + Logo transparent (WHITE)- 300px.png

What is the Canvas test environment?

Canvas test is a full testing environment offered as a complimentary service by Instructure. The test environment is for testing real data without affecting the production environment.

The test environment is separate from the Canvas beta environment, which is used for trying new and updated features before they are available in the production environment.

Why should I use the test environment?

The test environment is for testing real data without affecting the production environment, such as adding users, testing course content, SIS and CSV files, and/or troubleshooting issues. The test environment can also be configured with production-ready features, such as access to an institution's login authentication system.

When are new features added to test?

The test environment mirrors the production environment with all features and data every three weeks after the production release. Learn more about the test release schedule in What is the Canvas release schedule for beta, production, and test environments?

How do I access the test environment?

Canvas admins and instructors can access the test environment by adding test in their Canvas URL (e.g. yourinstitution.test.instructure.com). Learn how to access the environment directly as noted in the Canvas guide for each user role:

What should I expect in the test environment?

No code changes are added to the test environment outside the three-week release cycle.

How do I find out about new features available in test?

If you want to keep up on the latest production features in Canvas, visit the Release Notes: Canvas page in the Canvas Community. Features in test mirror those in production at any given time.

What limitations are in the test environment?

The test environment is managed by the same engineers who manage the production and beta environments. While the test environment is an important resource to our customers, the test environment does not include any service-level agreements (SLAs) for fixes or feature updates. Additionally, status updates and incident reports are not provided for any disruptions that occur.

The test environment includes certain limitations as noted in the Canvas guide for each user role:

What happens to my content in the test environment?

The test environment is updated every three weeks after the production release. Any content added to or modified in the test environment will be overwritten by content in the production environment every three weeks. Test is not available for use when the environment is being refreshed.

Attachments

Outcomes