What is UDOIT?
The Universal Design Online content Inspection Tool, or UDOIT (pronounced, “You Do It”) enables faculty to identify accessibility issues in their Canvas course content. It will scan a course, generate a report, and provide resources on how to address common accessibility issues. It was created by the Center for Distributed Learning (CDL) at the University of Central Florida (CDL)
What does it do?
UDOIT will identify “errors” and provide “suggestions” in the following areas of your course:
- Files (i.e., .html files)
- Module URLs
It will check for the appropriate use of the following:
- Use of headings in page structure
- Alternative text for images
- Table headers
- Color contrast
- Descriptive link text
- Video captions
Please note: some items cannot be examined by UDOIT. These include external documents and some videos/audio files for captioning/transcripts.
- If your institution is already using UDOIT with Canvas, it can be enabled via your Canvas course settings.
- For more information about UDOIT from the instructor perspective, visit our UDOIT information page.
If you are interested in downloading and installing UDOIT, visit the GitHub project.