Grades in the Teacher App

(4)

It would be incredibly helpful to see a gradebook in the teacher app so that teachers can easily enter grades for multiple students on the same screen. As it stands now, you can only enter grades for one assignment and one student at a time using the SpeedGrader, but if you have an assignment or exam that's given to students live in class and you just want to record all of your student's grades at once, it's very inefficient to use this feature. The workaround is to go directly to the Canvas website and access your gradebook there, but it would be much better if this was just another feature in the app. While phone screen sizes are smaller than computer screens and not all students may appear in the screen at once, we should just be able to scroll down to see the next batch of students like we do when we're accessing the gradebook on the Canvas website anyway. 

13 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted!  @anussdorf  I really like how you envision mobile grading working in the classroom and agree that it would be a terrific enhancement to the awesome Canvas Teacher app.

Sharing this with Canvas Mobile Users Group

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I can see this working on an assignment-by-assignment basis, for sure. I don't know if I'd want my full gradebook, but to be able to add items in a single column by section would be helpful for those in-class quick/formative assessments.

brigitte_lavoie
Community Novice

Voted up!  Yes, grades in the teacher app is not a frill but a necessity!  The argument that it's too big and awkward for a phone screen completely bypasses the fact that teachers love to mark on tablets, and we need gradebook functionality there so that we can release grades to students once multiple TAs have finished marking (--we can monitor that it's been completed, check that the TAs are giving similar average scores, revisit graded assignments as needed, and THEN post  all the grades from gradebook so students can see them.) 

nsekerak
Community Novice

Thank you for including this as an idea. I concur.

ebert_jg
Community Novice

This just seems like a no-brainer to me.  Why wouldn't teachers have the ability to view the gradebook from the app?  It makes no sense and should be fixed.

robert_burns
Community Novice

This is a MUST have feature for a teaching application.

tmackenzie
Community Member

Whoever decided to leave Grades out of the Teacher App obviously was not a teacher.  I can't believe they left it out!  

arthur_boggs
Community Novice

The Grades option is an integral tool in Canvas. I should be added to the Mobile Application.  It is sad to see that this is needed by the community and yet its been open since July 23rd, 2019 and nothing has been done with it.

willmoin
Community Participant

Voted for this too. Funny Grades does not appear in the app. Also tied to this, having Grades may be one way to launch Originality Reports on assignment submissions (also not there)

jessie_melendez
Community Member

Please bring back the Gradebook in the app.

dholmes21
Community Member

I really use Gradebook when I'm working in the web version and I'm confused why it wouldn't be a feature in the Teacher App version. Please, I would like this very much! It would be very helpful! 

willmoin
Community Participant

Voted. Please also consider voting for my suggestion to bring the 'Launch SpeedGrader Filtered by Groups' feature to the app (below). Thanks, Will

Filter assignment submissions by group/seminar on iPad: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Bring-SpeedGrader-Filtered-by-Student-Group-to...

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.