Commons Permalinks (direct URL link to content)

Idea created by Robert Caldwell on Jul 14, 2015
    Radar
    Score78
    Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Currently, sharing specific content with users in the commons is a bit difficult. I need to instruct users what keywords to search for and the exact title of the item I want them to use.

I believe permalinks that point directly to an object in the commons would be very useful. Something that could be shared with a Canvas user that would direct them to an item in the Commons. Pardon my horrible rendition (I'm not a designer), but this gives an idea of what I mean:

permalink_idea.png

Original posting for this feature idea: Shareable URL links

If I create content and I want to inform teachers how to find the content easily in the commons, it seems it would be easy if I could generate a quick shareable link that would take any user directly to the resource. I may have missed something, but I don't think a feature like this currently exists.

Transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Robert Caldwell

Additional contributions by: Michelle Lattke

Comments from Instructure

February 2016

Thank you so much for your comments on this feature. It makes us so happy to hear people be passionate about our products and that you want more!! It's something we would love to add to Commons, and we hope to be able to, currently though because we are an LTI app inside of Canvas, we aren't able to provide permalinks :/  We are looking into some options in the future that might make this possible given some additional functionality built first. Thank you again, we are so lucky to have amazing customers that care about the user experience.

Best,

Kate McGee, Commons Product Manager

This feature idea has been reviewed by product and has moved into the Under Consideration stage. An idea may stay in the Under Consideration stage for 6-18 months before receiving an update and moving to another stage.  Make sure to follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.