Configure Image Files in Speedgrader to Fit the Window

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we make it so that in Canvas’ Speed Grader, submitted image files appear as “fit to window” instead of 1:1 pixel resolution?  It might be a simple adjustment to the webpage code, but it would allow student submissions in my Photography classes to actually be viewed in Canvas.  Right now when I view submissions in Speed Grader, I only see the top left corner of each picture because the image is larger than the viewing window.  It would be speedier to see a thumbnail of each file…

Let me know if that’s an option.

Thank you!

Kirk

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14712-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-06-02 .

32 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission.  We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period.  It may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission

This revived feature idea will go up for voting on October 7th! Smiley Wink

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

When I use SpeedGrader on my iPad or on my Android phone, photos are scaled to fit within the screen. I love that because I can see my rubric, leave comments, and see the entire image. It would be amazing to have the same functionality while sitting at my desktop.

SpeedGrader has made many aspects of providing feedback to students and completing assessments much more efficient. Right now I rely on students uploading image files of their work in order to create a time stamp of their submission, and the extra need to download all assignments or zoom (CTRL +/-) is an extra step I'd prefer to cut out.

Browser:

untitled.png

Mobile:

untitled1.png

My photography students can crop their work to 5x7 @ 150dpi. Those images fit beautifully in the browser window on my desktop. However, students submitting labs, sketches, or other "on paper" assignments likely don't have that ability.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

For more information on the voting process check out How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

terry_hill
Community Novice

Yes, please fit image in screen!  We can make it so that in Canvas’ Speed Grader, submitted image files appear as “fit to window” instead of 1:1 pixel resolution.

LisaCasto
Community Novice

Allen ISD CTE and Art teachers are cheering for this and voting! Thanks Kristin!

cassandra_stack
Community Novice

Most of my submissions are Artworks that don't fit the screen which makes it difficult and more time consuming to grade!  This would be helpful.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @Renee_Carney ​ ~ This feature received 110 votes, but it has the archived notice. I'd like to learn more. Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

accident!

LisaCasto
Community Novice

Another whew from Allen ISD!:)

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I see Crocodoc is currently owned/ supported by a company called Box.  As I review the API documentation on their site I am not seeing image files listed as supported file types.  Perhaps this is part of the issue?   View API  

Addressing max width/ height seems doable via HTML5 using the <picture> element.   And I see one can use CSS to set max sizes thus ensuring for responsive images.  Example:  Edit fiddle - JSFiddle   But this won't matter if Crocodoc doesn't support image files.

Perhaps I missed something?