Assignments within weighted groups treated with equal value regardless of points

Idea created by Lea Engle Champion on Dec 15, 2015
    Radar
    Score279
      Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Idea open for vote Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Please excuse the verbose title.

Our faculty want the option to have assignments within an assignment group to be given the same weight even if they are graded on different point values.

For example:

Assignment Group = Homework  25% of final grade

Homework 1 10 pts

Homework 2 15 pts

Homework 3 10 pts

etc.

Currently, the homework #2 which is worth 15 points will have a larger influence over the grade than homeworks 1 or 3. We can encourage faculty to grade all assignments within a group on the same point-value scale, but there are 3,000 of them and four of us. Additionally, our previous LMS, Blackboard, allowed the user to opt to weigh all of the assignments WITHIN a group equally. Faculty are very upset by this lack in functionality ESPECIALLY when they become aware of the miscalculation right before final grades are due.

Thanks,

-Lea

Comments from Instructure

From Christi Wruck:

Hey folks,

This is actually on my dream list of things to do. Nested weighting is something I hear from a lot of clients who have used other LMSes and I can understand how people may have grown accustomed to it. I'm not sure this will make the list of highest priorities in the immediate future, but it is something we will consider long term.

P.S. To be clear... the lack of custom weighting of individual assignments within an assignment group does not mean that the total grade is "miscalculated". I can understand that instructors that are moving from a system that allowed custom weighting of individual assignments within an assignment group may perceive this to be a "miscalculation" because it's calculating differently than it did when they were adding custom weights to individual assignments in the past, but:

1. The calculation is working as intended and is not incorrect.
    2. The fact that custom weights were not entered on each assignment in Canvas should indicate that custom weighting of individual assignments isn't happening. So I'm not sure I understand how it would be perceived as a "miscalculation" at the end of a semester?