Additional Module Requirement Option

Idea open for vote Wed. November 2, 2016 - Wed. February 1, 2017  Learn more about voting...

When editing a module setting, I would like for there to be an additional option to lock down all modules until the first module is completed. By doing this, it would eliminate the need to have to add a prerequisite of the first module to every single module. Doing this is be very cumbersome.

This feature would be great for institutions that used templates and had pertinent information in regards to taking courses or Canvas instructions for students; instructors ensuring students have to read the syllabus, course requirements, etc. before seeing any course content; or anyone wanting to have students take a quiz or survey before accessing course content.

205559_Edit Module Settings.jpgEdit Module Settings.jpg

Comments from Instructure

February 2017 update from Chris Ward

Although I see how this could be useful, it could just as easily lead to permissions/prerequisites confusion if you forgot or didn't know that a module had this requirement, because it essentially turns the current UX paradigm on its head. Because of this, we'll be shelving this idea. Thank you!

4 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Haley,

Thank you for submitting this feature idea.  I can see where this feature would be helpful for people who use intro modules in the manner you describe.  I do not see that the idea has previously been voted on so will add your submission to the queue for the next cohort.

Thanks.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 2, 2016 - Wed. February 1, 2017.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

dwright4
Community Member

This is great! Thanks!

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Although I see how this could be useful, it could just as easily lead to permissions/prerequisites confusion if you forgot or didn't know that a module had this requirement, because it essentially turns the current UX paradigm on its head. Because of this, we'll be shelving this idea. Thank you!