Canvas does not respect the sections when assigning peer reviews when automatically assigning peers in an assignment is set. This means a student from section A might be assigned as peer to a student in section B. This is problematic in case people from Section A and Section B are not collaboratively related.
- When automatically assigning peer is enabled, Canvas should by default, respect the section of each student separately to match the section of the peer to be assigned.
An option should be available to override limiting by section. This could be done by adding the checkbox "Allow assigning peers from different sections":
Lets say the following students in different sections are assigned to the same assignment:
When Canvas is looping through all students in the assignment to find a peer it should look for the section of each student is in and select a peer from the respective section only. So e.g. Student A4 (from section A) will never be assigned as peer to Student B2.
The suggested solution would work for the following scenarios:
- Assignment with one section assigned where peers are assigned to students from the respective sections
- Assignment with multiple sections or "Everyone" assigned where peers are assigned to students from the respective sections
- Assignment with one section assigned where peers are assigned to students not respective to any section
- Assignment with multiple sections or "Everyone" assigned where peers are assigned to students not respective to any section
This feature request is related to this question Using Peer Review in a course with multiple sections, where the suggested solution appeared not to work.