Jump to solution
flem118
Community Member

How to use turnitin

Labels (2)
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @flem118  Welcome to the Canvas Community. I have to assume you are an instructor asking this rather than a student, since the process for submitting something to Turnitin (within Canvas, at least) is relatively straight-forward.  The best solution, frankly, is to check with your local Canvas administrator because there are actually two variations of Turnitin currently in use with Canvas:  the Plagiarism Framework version and the LTI version (also called the "external tool.")  

Once you figure that out, there is some online help available--whether you are a faculty member or a student--starting here: Turnitin Help | Which version of Canvas do you use?  Just follow the links and it will direct you to either faculty-specific pages or student-specific pages.

Basically, I can tell you that if you have the Plagiarism Framework--which is what we use at my own institution--when you create an assignment in Canvas once you select Submission Type: of ONLINE and of the file upload type, there will be another box that appears automatically called Plagiarism Review with a drop-down menu offering the choice of Turnitin.  If you are NOT seeing that at all on a new assignment, then it is likely you are using the LTI version, which requires a Submission Type: of EXTERNAL TOOL.

Again, however, you may want to check with your institutional support first.

I hope this helps a bit, Nic.

View solution in original post