Adjust Chromebook Mic Levels using Canvas Media Recorder

Jump to solution
QC99_tsilvius
Community Champion

Hello Admins. I was wondering if anyone has found a way to adjust Chromebook mic levels when using the Canvas record media tool in the RCE without needing to access the Alsa Mixer through shell in dev mode? It seems crazy for students to be submitting videos in Canvas without the ability to adjust their Chromebook mic input level, but being new to Chromebooks maybe this is just the crazy way they are. I'm thinking that I'm just overlooking something though. When students record, their mic levels by default must be set to extreme input because their audio is so garbled and loud on their recordings. Is there something in place to prevent the audio from recording at such a high level and lighting up red. I'm hopeing someone might be able to point me in the right direction (without having to download a different video recording app like Screencastify if possible). It would be great to use the Canvas video record tool directly with a Chromebook, not record elsewhere.  Context: My sixth grade band students are submitting their playing assessments using the Canvas Assignment Tool Text Tab's RCE media recorder. Our 1:1 program provides Chromebooks to our sixth graders. Thanks for any tips to help with this.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Deborah,

Unfortunately that was the issue faculty at our University are running into.  Every time they want to do a quick recording they are having to go in and fiddle with the Flash player settings. 

Has anyone heard if Instructure is planning on replacing the dated Flash based player?  

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Champion

QC99.tsilvius,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

View solution in original post