Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fvansaun

Any possibility of importing course time, hours & room number to dashboard course cards?

Hi,

We would like to be able to include course meeting days and times (possibly room numbers) in the searchable course information and on the Dashboard course cards. Has anyone found a way to do this? Or, possibly you have a consultant that you could suggest? Or some advice related to a project like this.

We are small design school with a tight budget. The price I was quoted for doing this through the Canvas tech consulting was astronomical, but I cant imagine we are the only school looking for a solution.

Thank you!

Freya

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fvansaun , given the technical nature of your question I’m going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=5535b1f4-0f20-465f-9f44-...‌ group in the Community. They are the ones that do a lot of the programming and specialty stuff like this and might be able to help. 

rake_9
Community Member

The super-easy solution would be to include the information in the naming convention for your Course Name.  That would likely get you some long and awkward course names, but then you can then use the Course Code for a shorter version that shows up in the course itself.  And people can then use nicknames for creating a name that is useful to them.

Hi Valerie,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately long course names are truncated in the display on the Dashboard cards, using '...' to indicate the course title has been shortened. The information is available when you roll over the course title, but this kind of 'time and place' information wouldn't be intuitively found by students or faculty it if it were hidden at the end of the course code and title. It needs to be on a separate line.

tdelillo

I know this doesn't really answer the question, as it is both (a) a manual process and (b) not "searchable", but since I'm fond of design hacks...

You could create an image that contains the relevant information, and then upload it in the course settings to display on the dashboard:

dashboard with course images

Hi Tracey,

Yes, this is a good one, we have been considering asking all faculty to do this themselves (I am on my own with Canvas Admin, faculty tech training and Coordination of our Online Program). It would be better than nothing even if only some of the faculty followed through, and actually really cool if they all did it.

My one worry is the possibility of old info not being updated when the course is copied to a new semester.

Delightfully clever,  @tdelillo ‌!

Yes, they would definitely need to make sure that updating the image was part of their workflow. Very good point!

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @fvansaun ,

I know there has been a lot of discussion here already, while there is no native way to achieve this at the moment within Canvas, there have been some great workarounds suggested.

You may also wish to consider logging a feature idea in https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=e404da8c-7169-4785-bdbd-3d912be30...‌ if you would like to see this natively in future.

Cheers,
Stuart

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fvansaun ,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie