cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rake_9
Community Champion

Editing a default email address

I have a question about editing a student's default email address.  We have a student who changed her default address at some point before we checked the little box in Settings that disallows users from changing this.   The address needs to be changed back to the default so that her scores from Top Hat will sync .

She can no longer do this herself, since we're removed that permission.  This page (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3085) lets me know I can change it for her.  However, it does not tell me whether she will need to confirm that change (as she would if she were adding additional addresses).  If she does need to confirm, then I think I have to escalate this to support, since the default address is actually an alias for students at our university.  I'm not sure she could confirm.

I really hope I'm over thinking this.

6 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rake_9 ,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
kimberly_nosewo

I would love to know if there is any way to remove the option for students to change their default emails.  We don't have a problem with their adding an email address, just want the school supplied email to be their primary.

@k_noseworthy ‌,

Yes you can remove the ability for anyone in your instance of Canvas from removing their default email address that is.

You can do this by going into Settings and find the Features section. Under the Features section you can choose whether or not to allow your users to delete their default email address or not. 

267305_pastedImage_1.png

kimberly_nosewo

Hi Brian,  We have changed the settings so that students cannot delete the default email.  I need to prohibit students from CHANGING which email is their default.  We are on our second semester with far fewer students than what we will have to support once we fully integrate to Canvas.  Allowing students to change their default email from the college provided email to say a Gmail account has caused multiple problems.  The most prevalent problems are being caused by some of the publisher LTIs, where authentication is looking for our college name in an email address.  

Hey  @k_noseworthy ‌,

I don't think Canvas offers us an easy way to stop a user from changing their default email address and because of that the only way I'd know to stop users from changing their default address would be to write some JavaScript code to hide that option from all users on the profile settings page. 

Brian

I believe I found the original script that controls the option.  Now, if only I knew more JavaScript...  

0 Kudos