cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tholinger
Community Member

Error when importing Sections CSV

Jump to solution

I received the following error when importing the Sections into the courses.  I have looked at the guides and cross-checked my csv file with the sample and I cannot find the error in the file. Here is the error that I am receiving "no course_id", however I double checked and my course_id matches the SIS Course ID on the course. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Canvas Error:

attachment_24947120150722-427-1b2u94m.csv - No course_id given for a section WGLSQLA315278-13595.Semester 1

Excel File:

section_id                 course_id                              name          status

WGLS-95.sem1       2015-16.SCI101.Smith.S1     Red Day     Active

1 Solution
chastinec
Community Contributor

@tholinger    I've received this before when it didn't like the comma Excel put in my file or some extra gibberish at the end of a line. I suggest taking a look at the csv in a note editor that marks whitespace and line end markers and/or replacing the commas.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tholinger ​, unfortunately I'm not sure, but you might want to post or share this with the Canvas Developers​ group. That's the group for the more back-end Canvas side of things.

John_Lowe
Community Champion

Traci, if you go to your account Settings > Reports and run a provisioning report for courses, you should see "2015-16.SCI101.Smith.S1" in the Course_ID column of that report.  The course_id of the existing course has to match the course_id column in the sections.csv file that you are loading exactly. 

My other thought is about the space between the word "Semester" and the "1" in the error message.  If your sections.csv file has a space in there, Canvas may not be interpreting that correctly when trying to match the course_id in the sections.csv file with the course_id of the course itself.

My last thought is, if those two suggestions don't help, would you be willing to post a sanitized version of your files somewhere that we can see them?  I'd like to see the courses provisioning report and the sections.csv file that you are loading.

Thanks John - I sent you my files to take a look at. Please let me know if you did not get them.

I am now receiving this error when attempting to import “Error while importing CSV. Please contact support (error report 14650000001119996):

Traci Holinger

Data and Software Administrator

chastinec
Community Contributor

@tholinger    I've received this before when it didn't like the comma Excel put in my file or some extra gibberish at the end of a line. I suggest taking a look at the csv in a note editor that marks whitespace and line end markers and/or replacing the commas.

tholinger
Community Member

Thank you for your assistance!  I had extra spacing after the text in my headers. I have updated my procedures to include this fix. Much appreciated.

czadnik3

Hi Traci,

Your course-id must be exactly the same in your course and section csv file. Your section csv file contains a section_id and a name column, which should match exactly as well. Going from semester-to-semester it is also important to note that your course_id and section_id must be unique and not duplicate the information used for a previous semester.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tholinger ,

We are giving the Canvas Admins area a little bit of love (especially questions that are really, really old) and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie