Learn Bravely

Bobby2
Community Champion

On my way to work I go past several schools and notice the different School Visions emblazoned on flags and gateways. It seems that over the past decades the trend has been to display school visions, mission statements and values for all to see. Of course much time and wisdom has gone into creating these statements that help create a school culture. Some are catchy, some very deep, some way too long. But one has stood out for me lately and really made me ponder about the impact it has on me - just a passerby. 

‘Learn bravely’

So simple. Effective. Challenging. Encouraging. 

If I was a struggling student at that school I would find those words comforting as well as encouraging.

If I was a capable student I would find those words provoking enough to perhaps push myself a little harder. 

If I was a teacher at that school I would feel supported enough to try new things and dig a little deeper to improve my knowledge and skills.

If I was a leader in that school I’d be excited about the potential in those two simple words. The potential to support learners for now and their futures.

If I was a parent in that school I’d be comforted to know that learning bravely was part of my child’s everyday experience. And I’d try to model that myself when they came home from school. 

Learning how to use a tool like Canvas can be scary. It can challenge the bravest among us. It can cause us to try to build walls to hide behind, walls that say ‘too hard’, ‘I don’t understand’, ‘I feel stupid’, ‘I can’t’. 

Perhaps we need to gently encourage each other, and ourselves, to learn bravely

Labels (3)