Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcaplin

Terms/Gradebook/Grading Periods=Confusion

Jump to solution

I have my "Term" listed as 2020-2021, I also created three terms: Fall, Winter and Spring. I thought that I could change the term in gradebook to have teachers move on to the next term but teachers are still seeing the Fall Term grades.  I think I set something up incorrectly, I am in a 9-12 high school, does anyone have suggestions on the correct way to setup a school year. I have read all of the guides and find myself more confused than ever!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kcaplin

Chris,

Here are the terms:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.50.01 AM.png

 Here are the grading periods:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.59.51 AM.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
chriscas
Community Champion

Hi @kcaplin,

I think I might be able to help with this...

First, you'll want to create your term in the Terms area, giving it the full date-range for the term/year.

Once you do that, you'll define the grading periods within the term rom the grading admin area, attaching the grading periods to the term you created above (see the following screenshot showing what ours look like after being created, but note you don't have to name yours exactly like what we have with the Summer/Fall matching terminology):

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 2.45.19 PM.png 

With this setup, instructors will be able to choose from the grading period options in their gradebook as shown below:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 2.46.13 PM.png

Does that help at all?

-Chris

Chris,

Thanks so much for reaching out. I do not have the dropdown option to have a teacher select a grading period.

How is that enabled?

Thanks,

Kaye

chriscas
Community Champion

Hi Kaye,

As far as I know, that option in the gradebook will just appear by itself as long as the following things are true:

• Grading periods are setup and attached to a term as I showed above
  • The course term is set to the term with the grading periods configured.

If you're not seeing that dropdown, perhaps you could post screenshots of your grading periods (like what I did) and also your course settings page so we could perhaps spot something that's not quite right.

-Chris

kcaplin

Chris,

Here are the terms:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.50.01 AM.png

 Here are the grading periods:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.59.51 AM.png

0 Kudos
schachernp
Community Contributor

Try this:

• Go into Grades in the desired course
  • At the top, left-hand side of the listing is the VIEW options.  Click to drop down the options.
  • Highlight FILTERS
  • Select GRADING PERIODS 
  • You should now see GRADING PERIODS drop box across the top of the listing of grades & students. 

That should just about do it!  😁

chriscas
Community Champion

Hi @kcaplin ,

From your screenshots, I can definitely spot some things that *might* not be correct (things can be done in a lot of different combinations so it's hard to say for sure without getting into a much larger conversation).  One thing that is definitely not right is that your 2020-2021 term, shown on the terms screenshot, does not have any grading period associated with it.  Depending on the intended functionality, you also may not need to have the Fall, Winter, and Spring terms listed (especially if you intend for everything to be in the 2020-2021 term and then use the grading periods to basically create a fall.winter/summer split in the gardebook).  In the Grading periods, I'd suggest setting up a 2020-2021 grading period (applied to the 2020-2021 term) with the fall, winter, and spring periods defined there.  Think of the term as the large container and then the grading periods as smaller containers within that term.  I hope that makes some more sense to you!

-Chris