Access to Course through Catalog Dashboard

sbarry2
Community Participant

I have tried multiple settings but I can't seem to figure out the relationship between Canvas Course Dates, course sections and Catalog.

Currently, we have one day courses that we offer through Catalog. We would like the students to have access to the course before the actual course date. If we set the course Start and End dates in Course Details (Canvas), and NOT check the "users can only participate in the course between these dates box", students still cannot access the course. I also attempted to check it. No difference.

We want the course to be listed in Catalog showing the date of the actual session. Since Catalog pulls the date from the sections area in Canvas, we set this to the actual course date. Unfortunately, the student still doesn't have access (a lock appears on the Catalog dashboard) until the actual date set in Section. The Section also has a check box "Users can only participate in the course between these dates." I attempted to check and un-check the box. No change.

We don't use semesters so we didn't set any dates in the "Terms" area. I did change the Default Term to Jan 1, 2016-Dec. 31, 2016. Previously it was sent to whenever. This did not change the functionality.

I did notice that students can access the course if they log in to Canvas. However, when the student enrolls they receive an email that drives them to the Catalog Dashboard. Once they click the Access your Course, they see the lock.

What settings would be appropriate so students can access their course, through Catalog, before the start of the course.

Any advice would be much appreciated.