STEM Support

lharting
Community Novice

@I love teaching with using an integrated curriculum approach utilizing STEM.  Please join me is discussing different ways you integrate curriculum to keep students engaged in what would otherwise seem like a boring topic.  

3 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

Fabulous conversation starter  @lharting  One of my latest favourite integrated units recently was 'Our World of Patterns'. 

Our essential question was 'How do patterns make up our world?'

This was a 10 week investigation with grades 3/4 and involved every curriculum area. We had microscopes set up to explore patterns up close in insects wings, Algebra, number patterns, Fibonacci, Sierpinski and Pythagoras got a look in with maths, poetry and spelling patterns were enjoyed during english, designs created for art installations, choreography patterns created for dance, games invented for physical education, patterns that famous artists used in their art, and an exhibition to culminate sharing learning and project creations with peers, younger students, older classes, and parents.  

We spent time initially exploring patterns. Making patterns using links on our LMS. We collected patterns that were from the four science; Biological sciences, Chemical sciences, Earth and space sciences and Physical sciences. We collected patterns from around Australia and her neighbouring countries, patterns made by famous artists,, mathematical patterns and word patterns.

Our LMS was used to great effect to discuss, problem solve, learn from videos, share learning, and display work. 

Some cool links we used were:

https://www.tmag.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/129969/Pattern_Play_Teachers_guide.pdf  

https://beautifulnow.is/discover/arts-design/bn-faves-the-nature-art-and-science-of-doodles  

http://www.eworkshop.on.ca/edu/resources/guides/Guide_Patterning_and_Algebra_456.pdf  

Number Pattern Solver | Activity | Education.com 

Activities | Education.com  

Patterns Game: Patterns activities  

Some ideas we wanted to explore:

Patterns in Literacy

Codes, Rhymes, Maze stories, Shape Poems, Spelling patterns, other languages,

Patterns in Numeracy

Time, Money, Mazes, Codes, Symmetry, Rotations, Algebra, Maps, algebra, times tables...

Patterns in HASS (Humanities and Social Sciences)

Flags, Maps, Tides, Costumes, Symbols, Dance, Uniforms, Songs form other cultures, History of Aus Currency...

Patterns in Science

Ice/Snow/Desert/Ocean/Earth patterns, Natural and man-made changes to the Earth's surface patterns, Crystals, Tides, Winds, Animal Camouflage, Microscopes, Heat waves, Elements and atoms, Animal symmetry, Fractals, Constellations, Patterns in our bodies, finger prints, blood cells...

Spirograph!

High Tech Option

Collaborate with your group to create and collate an iMovie about patterns.
Create a pattern installation that is interactive.
Use Scratch to create a sequence to teach other learners about a pattern of your choice.
Design a pattern that can be made into a stamp for a continuous pattern stamp using the 3D printer.

Low Tech Option

Use your iPad to collect and organise a variety of patterns.
Create a variety of patterns using the apps on Canvas
Create a padlet to survey your audience.
Participate in the class online brainstorm 

No Tech Option

Create a variety of patterns using class equipment.
Sketch patterns from around the school
Collect pattern ideas
Write a pattern poem

Patterns in The Arts

Dance, choreography, marching, Pattern Artists - Escher, Mondrian, Mugwumps, Art Installations, Knitting, print making, tapa cloth, form drawings...

Patterns in Technology

Building designs, Bridge designs, Invent a pattern game using Scratch, Use apps to create patterns...

Patterns in Health and PE

Consider rules of sports, scoring systems that use patterns, Create a game involving patterns, ball skills using patterns, movement sequences, affect of exercise on our bodies - lungs, cells, brain., Values: Creativity, collaboration, respect, resilience, excellence.
lharting
Community Novice

That sounds fantastic, Bobby! I am working on a multidisciplinary unit involving the coordinate plane for math. I am making my floor into a coordinated plane using painter tape. Each tile line (my room is tiled) will serve as a number. Students will draw two cards from a bag, I have positive numbers 1-15 and negative numbers 1-15. The first card that a student draws will be the X-axis and the second card will serve at the Y-axis, this will be the coordinate pair. Students will go to their spot on the coordinate plane. Two other students will do the same until three students are standing on the giant coordinate plane. Next, students will determine what triangle is formed and measure the angles. Students that are not actually on the floor’s coordinate plane will plot the same coordinate pairs on paper. Longitude and latitude will be addressed and compared to the coordinate plane. We will discuss and review Prime Meridian, Equator, and the four hemispheres.

Bobby2
Community Champion
Good fun  @lharting . What grade is this for? I like the way you have made the most of the classroom environment (tiles) for this. It will be interesting to see what comes out in their discussions.