cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lchallen
Community Contributor

Access canvas gradebook notes by API?

Hi,

I am working out some design for a new application that will require some information from gradebook.

I have had a search and this is the closest post I can find to answering my question:

How to extract Notes from Canvas Gradebook using Tableau? 

The answer seems to be negative, you can’t access the gradebook notes column from the API.

so my question is this, have I missed anything? Is there any current or future plans to allow notes access from the API?

(perhaps with new gradebook?)

mant thanks in in advance for your help.

Lawrence

@apoonja ‌

@efox2 ‌

Labels (3)
6 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lchallen ,

I have spent some time on this looking to see what I could find, and I can tell you that it is possible!

When a teacher views the notes column for the first time it creates a custom gradebook column. This column is also able to be created via the API directly using the Custom Gradebook Columns - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation endpoints.

For classes that you have the notes column already created, using the list custom columns endpoint, you will see the notes column created. You could also opt to systematically create this by default.

You can then use the remaining endpoints in Custom Gradebook Columns - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation to interact with the notes data within your courses.

Hope that helps, I can happily say I have learned something today too!

Cheers,
Stuart

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lchallen ,

I wanted to follow up and see how you got on with this? Were you able to access the notes with the guidance I provided?

Please feel free to reach out if you need anything else clarified.
Cheers,
Stuart

lchallen
Community Contributor

Hi Stuart,

This one got away from us. We included it as an optional in a requirements list to a developer. I will point them towards this and see what comes of it.

Regards,

Lawrence

Hi  @lchallen ,

No worries at all. Please let me know how you go, are you happy for me to mark this as assumed answered for the time being or would you like me to keep it open?

Cheers,
Stuart

lchallen
Community Contributor

Thanks Stuart,

Let's mark it as answered. 

Regards,

Lawrence

No worries at all! If you want to reopen it at any time, please let me know and more than happy to!

Cheers,
Stuart