Custom submission field in Canvas API

Jump to solution
Dfez00
Community Member

Hello,

I am making a solution which uses Canvas API. My goal is to make assignments in my solution that propagates to Canvas, but I'm having an issue with the Submission Type. My idea is that the students will be graded in the solution which will also be propagated to Canvas, but I see that the submission types (online entry, file upload, etc) also lets the student try and submit it manually through Canvas, and I don't want that since I want them to access my solution through a link in the description.

I see that there is a "No submission" option in the Assignment, but then the API doesn't let me make the POST to create a new submission for that student.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Dfez00
Community Member
Author

Hello all, I was able to fix my own problem and maybe for future questions it could help.

Turns out I don't need to even make the submission at all. You are able to send the grade API call to an assignment with no submissions, since the assignment you grade (as a teacher) is tied to the student, not the submission (since you grade all submissions too).

Hopefully this helps someone else, cheers 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes