Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saelterman

Get course by course code

Jump to solution

Is there a way to get a particular course by its course code instead of its ID or SIS_ID? For example

/api/v1/courses/course_code:mycoursecode

I know the obvious answer is to retrieve all courses and loop to find the one(s) I need. So I am looking for the API to do the filtering for me to reduce the amount of data to load from the API.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Member

I just tested List active courses in an account with a query parameter of search_term and it looks at the course code.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
gtaylor
Community Member

I guess I'm curious as to the why?

The challenge here is that course codes don't have to be unique so it's hard to pick one out. Unless your trying to get a specific group of courses with one call.

We use our course codes as display names for students. A section identifier and the name of the course. P671 A+ CERTIFICATION PREPARATION I

Although the Section ID is more for faculty. 

What's the challenge in using the SIS_ID?

I'm asking these questions because I don;t know how to do the thing your asking, but am still making an attempt to be helpful.

Thanks for trying to be helpful Smiley Happy

As with anything API, I suppose, it's related to integration. The current dataset of courses I have that I need to do something with does not include the value we use as the SIS_ID. I could get it, but it requires changing other processes. Not impossible, but it just causes a cascade of changes.

(The course_code field for us is a more human-readable version of a course ID that is based on values I have in the current dataset.)

James
Community Member

I just tested List active courses in an account with a query parameter of search_term and it looks at the course code.

James: that seems exactly like what I am looking for!

Thank you.