Getting Notified When Someone Registers on Canvas

Jump to solution
SeanJago
Community Member

Hi!

I am looking for either a webhook (ideally) or an API endpoint that I can poll in order to get details on new registrants/sign ups to Canvas...

I have looked through the API documentation but I can't seem to find anything but I am sure I am missing it or it is buried somewhere!

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@SeanJago 

Did you check out Live Events from Canvas Data Services? You can configure it to send a notification to an Amazon Web Services SQS Queue or a custom url (I had tested it with a server at our site before switching to Amazon).

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but it can send a live event notification when an enrollment is created or a user is added. There are a lot of other things as well. Scroll down the Canvas LMS API documentation and you'll see Live Events at the bottom of the side menu.

That will let you know that something happened, but probably won't give you all of the details that you want. For that, you'll need to make a regular API call.

Live Events are not guaranteed. If there is network congestion or Canvas is experiencing a high load, you may not get a notification. Notifications are also sent only once. All that means you will need some other way of detecting things as a fallback.

I download information about each class on a nightly basis and cache it in a local database. Then I can process it to see what actions need performed that slipped through the cracks.

View solution in original post