cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
griffindodd
Community Participant

Is there any sample data for a Dev environment to develop a plugin?

Jump to solution

Hello All,

New to Canvas. I've been asked to develop some 3rd party plugins for Canvas so I will need to set up a dev environment along with a sample database to test against. I have two questions...

1.) Will the web version of Canvas allow me to test my plugins as I develop them?

2.) Is there anywhere I could find a sample database of students, staff, parents etc. to simulate a generic environment?

Many thanks for any help offered.

Joel

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
robotcars
Community Champion

Hi  @griffindodd ,

The FFT looks like it allows LTI's if you register, but I defer to  @scottdennis ‌, stefaniesanders‌.

Free-for-Teacher Account FAQ 

The only way to get data from FFT would be the API, and I suspect it would be limited to the teacher role of your course.

A common solution for 3rd party developers is to install Canvas locally from source.

GitHub - instructure/canvas-lms: The open LMS by Instructure, Inc. 

Another option would be to contact Instructure and purchase an ACME or Sandbox environment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
robotcars
Community Champion

Hi  @griffindodd ,

The FFT looks like it allows LTI's if you register, but I defer to  @scottdennis ‌, stefaniesanders‌.

Free-for-Teacher Account FAQ 

The only way to get data from FFT would be the API, and I suspect it would be limited to the teacher role of your course.

A common solution for 3rd party developers is to install Canvas locally from source.

GitHub - instructure/canvas-lms: The open LMS by Instructure, Inc. 

Another option would be to contact Instructure and purchase an ACME or Sandbox environment.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Joel,

I'm not aware of a database of user data that you could use to simulate a populated instance.  Robert is correct that you can access your own personal key in FFT and do API calls that affect your user/courses only.

griffindodd
Community Participant

Thanks for the feedback!

If I install locally to create a dev environment, can I do that with having to buy licenses?

There's no license fee when using the source to develop.

Home · instructure/canvas-lms Wiki · GitHub 

Quick Start · instructure/canvas-lms Wiki · GitHub 

There's also a mailing list and IRC channel for support.

Canvas Dev & Friends - Instructure Tech Blog