cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atcarver
Community Contributor

LTI register expansion for course integration_id

We’re trying to use both the user integration_id and the course integration_id fields for an LTI integration (ARES). ARES is provisioned by our library with different user IDs and course IDs than we’re using in Canvas (the library’s data is a bit different). Therefore, I need ID fields for users and courses that the LTI can map to, and integration_id seemed the best bet. I got it to work for the user integration_id, but not the course integration_id. I figured that’s because I had the wrong path for the course integration_id.

The user integration_id is found at ‘$Canvas.user.Integration_Id’

Any idea what the course equivalent of ‘$Canvas.user.Integration_Id’ is?

‘$Canvas.course.Integration_Id’ did not work.

Thanks!

6 Replies
pklove
Community Champion

The Supported Substitutions used to all be listed at LTI Variable Substitutions under Supported Substitutions --- but that part of the page is now blank.

Anyone know if there is an official list somewhere else, or how we get it back into the docs?

carols
Community Member

Wayback machine from Feb 2017 might be at least some help .....

Wayback Machine LTI Variable Substitutions - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation 

carols
Community Member

Or for a guaranteed 100% up to date location, how about the canvas source on github?

canvas-lms/variable_expander.rb at stable · instructure/canvas-lms · GitHub 

carols
Community Member

Hi Andrew

$Canvas.course.id - gives you the underlying course id as defined within canvas (e.g. all canvas courses will have one of these and it is just an integer)

$Canvas.course.sisSourceId - the sisSourceid is the id from the student information system that you can specify when you're doing an import. Or you could populate it via API calls to get your ARES values in? 

Cheers

Carol

atcarver
Community Contributor

Hi Carol, 

Thanks for the assistance! So, my particular case, course.sisSourceId is already in use. The reason I need the course integrationId is because I could provision that column with the values I need to get into Canvas (for ARES). I can't use other columns because integrationId is the only valid one I'm not currently using. 

Make sense?

Best,

Andrew

0 Kudos
carols
Community Member

Hi Andrew

Ah thanks for this clarification - sorry I didn't get that this was your issue the first time round. Yes, I now see exactly what you mean. The course integration id doesn't appear on the list of supported LTI variable substitutions, which is frustrating.

I wonder how possible it is to get additional variables added by Canvas to the supported substitutions list.

Cheers

Carol