Listing Canvas Plagiarism Framework Assignments

Jump to solution
edmond_cheng
Community Explorer

Hi All,

Is there a way, either via the API or through Canvas Data (or some other way), to identify all the assignments that use the Canvas Plagiarism Framework (specifically Turnitin for our institution).

I can list all the assignments for all courses easily enough through the API with a python script, and there is a flag in the Assignments API called "turnitin_enabled" but I believe this refers to the LTI external tool, not the CPF.

We just wanted to get a sense of how many courses are using Turnitin with the CPF enabled.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (4)
1 Solution
DecoyLex
Community Participant

I know this post is now several years old, though it was the first result when I was searching for any kind of way to interact with the Canvas Plagiarism Framework through the API.

I managed to find a way to identify if an assignment has Plagiarism Framework enabled by calling the show_assignment endpoint with the webhook_info include parameter. For example:

https://canvas.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/123/assignments/456?include[]=webhook_info

This gave an additional key in the assignment JSON with the selected tool's info:

"webhook_info": {
    "product_code": "turnitin-lti",
    "vendor_code": "turnitin.com",
    "resource_type_code": "tiiasmtset",
    "tool_proxy_id": 1,
    "tool_proxy_created_at": "2022-07-07T14:17:53Z",
    "tool_proxy_updated_at": "2022-07-07T14:17:56Z",
    "tool_proxy_name": "Turnitin Plagiarism Dectection",
    "tool_proxy_context_type": "Account",
    "tool_proxy_context_id": 1,
    "subscription_id": "11111111-2222-3333-4444-555566667777"
  },

It's not perfect, but it at least allows us to iterate through all the assignments and determine if Turnitin is enabled.

View solution in original post