One click opens multiple external browser pages

Jump to solution
MarvinFuqua
Community Member

On my Front Page I have three clickable links to DOE pdfs useful for end of course practice tests. These include: Formula Sheet, z-table, and Desmos calculator. My students can click each link separately and all three will appear in three different browser tabs; which can be accessed during practice testing.

Is it possible to write code or set up a page which will allow students to only click one link on the Front Page; which will then open up all three of the browser tabs? Simpler is usually better.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @MarvinFuqua

The ability to create a hyperlink that opens multiple tabs/URLs at once is an option but not one that is a feature within Canvas. There are other alternative options for it online and if you do a search you may find some options like I found this one: https://sites.google.com/site/learneverythings/internet/open-multiple-urls-or-links-at-once-in-a-sin...

However, this would require custom HTML and unfortunately not a normal function for hyperlinks in general - not just Canvas.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JamesSekcienski
Community Contributor

Have you considered embedding the PDFs in a Canvas page rather than linking them to open in a new tab? You could set-up links within the page that would help with navigating to each file preview without needing them to open in a new tab. If your Canvas Admin supports it, you could also see if they would be willing to add a theme customization to allow for tabs or accordions that is supported and accessible on both desktop and mobile.

I would be cautious about trying to design a button that opens multiple links. This isn't commonly expected behavior when clicking a link/button. This is more common as a design for spam/malicious intent, which is why browsers may also make efforts to prevent multiples tabs from being opened by a single click. I know your intentions are good for what you described, but it could create unnecessary risk if users begin to think it is appropriate for websites to open multiple tabs from a single click.

View solution in original post