cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinw
Community Contributor

Postman No Longer Working

Jump to solution

Has anyone else had a problem using postman lately? It was working fine on my old PC running windows. Now I keep getting this same message using Garth's instructions.

Please excuse the shoddy photo-editing

Postman-Error

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kevinw
Community Contributor

Hey buddy, 

Sorry for not checking back in. Apparently when I copy/pasted my auth-token it added in a little extra space at the end that I was missing. Sometimes it's the simple things, right? I figured this out after using the same Auth-Token in a python script. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MattHanes
Community Champion

It is good that you hid the API key, but we'll probably need to see the URL you were trying to access in order to troubleshoot it. I would guess that something is wrong with your URL with that error message.

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Also I would add a couple of things that have caught me in the past. A quick sanity check that the token is still valid (I set an expiry on a testing token once, that caused me a little bit of chasing my tail).

Also, to test that and double check that everything is OK with what you are attempting to do (and that it is a local problem with postman) have you double checked to ensure what you are trying to do works with the Live API, that is normally my first point of call to make sure there are no other issues.

You can do so by adding '/doc/api/live' after your Canvas URL (e.g. https://example.instructure.com/doc/api/live). Never hurts to double check the basics, if not, would love to see the part of the URL you are using after example.instructure.com/ (as Matt said though, very good policy to black out your Bearer Token.

Hope that helps!

Stuart

jschaffer
Community Champion

I would agree with  @stuart_ryan ‌.  I typically see issues with Postman when my token has expired, or when I forget to add part of the URL to the request.  Most often for me it is the "?" before the parameters, or a "/" between navigational points that is either omitted or added. 

Have you tried running this against another instance of Canvas (Test or Beta)?  You may also want to try performing the GET via a web browser just to make sure that the path is valid and returning information.  If all else fails, my go-to solution is to uninstall and then re-install the app. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck. 

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kevinw ,

I wanted to check in and see how you are progressing with this, has any of the info provided been able to get you over the hump and get Postman working again?

Cheers,
Stuart

kevinw
Community Contributor

Hey buddy, 

Sorry for not checking back in. Apparently when I copy/pasted my auth-token it added in a little extra space at the end that I was missing. Sometimes it's the simple things, right? I figured this out after using the same Auth-Token in a python script. 

View solution in original post

Howdy Kevin,

No worries at all, the joys of whitespace!!! Great to hear that you got it all resolved in the end!

Cheers,
Stuart